This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pop up message - Out of range H: 28.4K V: 60.0

OK, tried to run the live CD of Kubuntu 8.04 and it got part of the way through before this popped up in a blue box...

out of range H: 28.4K V: 60.0

It stopped there and nothing else happened. I couldn't get rid of this either by escape, return or anything.

Had to reset the PC.

Searched google and all you get is rainfall, radar and some other pish.

Searched here and found nothing on it either.

On rebooting my PC Norton AV wouldn't load and I couldn't start it either. Had to do a reboot then Sandboxie service wouldn't start. After another reboot both started.

What was that pop up message - out of range H: 28.4K V: 60.0 - all about?

Thanks.

Some specs if that's any help-

XP Home SP3
    ASUS P5N-D motherboard
    8800 GT Zalman graphics card
    E8500 CPU
    2 GIG RAM

Re: Pop up message - Out of range H: 28.4K V: 60.0

Refers to the Horizontal and Vertical sync settings for your monitor. In this case, the settings you are telling Linux to use are outside the range that your monitor will support.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I didn't tell Linux to use anything though. There was no options pop up allowing me to select sync settings for my monitor. All I did was run the live CD, choose the language, choose whether to install or run it live and that was it. It stopped about 5 minutes into the deal and froze up.

How or where do I set up the sync settings in Kubuntu if it freezes the operation before it's finished?

Edit-on my monitor there is a settings button that brings up a menu. Cycling through them there is a
      H SYNC: + V SYNC: +, (that's all it says) no numbers and no way to change or add numbers to it.

Comment

You are probably going to have to use a video boot option for that 8800 (enter it with F6 on the Live CD, at the end of the kernel boot line). I had an 8800 but I don't remember what I used. Try vga=791 and if that doesn't work, here are some other likely candidates:

vga=788
        vga=785
        xforcevesa

Comment

OK, thanks mate. I'll look into this a bit later.

Comment

Working...
          X