X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extend second screen

Hello fellow kubuntu users.

Just today I also installed kubuntu (dual boot with vista) and I quite like it actually. I've only installed it tonight so frustrating moments may come later, but so far so good.

On windows I always used two screens, the left one extending the right. I cannot get this to work in kubuntu. I did some googling, but most solutions go to the nvidia driver. I however am using a ATI Radeon HD 4850.

An other question.
    I now have two partitions, one of windows vista and one of kubuntu. On Mac leopard it is possible to load windows in a mac venster. So windows is loaded in a venster inside mac. Is this possible for kubuntu and how complicated will it be? I really like kubuntu but for my job I need adobe photoshop so I have to load into vista every now and then.

Replies are very much appreciated!

Re: Extend second screen

For the first I also have a ATI card but have only gotten the dual display to work once but if crashed my system. I spent hours on it but gave up. Some one else may have an idea to get this working, but I shore don't.

For the second you can use a virtual machine software for this. I use Virtual Box, but there is VMware as well.
    I think VBox is easer to setup and use, and other think VMware is easer. I have used both, but started with VMware. I made the switch to VBox when I could not install VMware due to a missing module.

If you are trying to load Vista in linux you will have to have a ton of ram. I ran Vista in vm but gave it up quickly, as it was way to slow, even though I gave it a full gig of ram.

Also I have not had luck installing any vm software form the repos, so I down load them fro there web sites.

Here is how I install VirtualBox, and configure it to share USB support
    Code:
    VirtualBox Software Install, and configure
    [url]http://www.ubuntu1501.com/2007/12/installing-virtualbox-with-usb-support.html[/url]
    Step 1: Download and Install VirtualBox
    Download the deb version for you machine. Once downloaded you can install in a terminal or launch the deb file.

Step 2: Setup User groups & USB support
    *Add yourself as a virtual box user
    In a terminal type:
    sudo adduser username vboxusers
    You must replace userame with your user name!
    Or you can do this with the GUI user manager.

*Add USB support to you fstab file
    In a terminal type:
    sudo gedit /etc/fstab
    And paste this line to the end of your fstab
    none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=1001,devmode=664 0 0

*Enable USB
    In a terminal type:
    sudo kate /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh
    You need to look for this section:
    #
    # Magic to make /proc/bus/usb work
    #
    #mkdir -p /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs
    #domount usbfs "" /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs -obusmode=0700,devmode=0600,listmode=0644
    #ln -s .usbfs/devices /dev/bus/usb/devices
    #mount --rbind /dev/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb
    And delete all the # shown, it should look exactly like this.

#Magic to make /proc/bus/usb work

mkdir -p /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs
    domount usbfs "" /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs -obusmode=0700,devmode=0600,listmode=0644
    ln -s .usbfs/devices /dev/bus/usb/devices
    mount --rbind /dev/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb

Find your vboxusers number
    In a terminal type:
    sudo kate /etc/group

Look for this, the number following it is your vboxusers number
    vboxusers:x:NUMBER

Next you have to add a line to your /etc/fstab to allow usb mounting
    In a terminal type:
    sudo kate /etc/fstab

Add this line:
    none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid= enter vboxusers number HERE,devmode=664 0 0

Allow access to /proc/bus/usb/
    in a teminal type:
    sudo chown -R root:vboxusers /proc/bus/usb

Once you Log out or reboot, you can start VirtualBox (Applications>System Tools>Innotek VirtualBox)

Vbox mount share folder in windows guest (VM machine).
    net use x: \\vboxsvr\your share folder name
    The your share folder name in a folder you create in the host machine, so enter that folder name in the net use command.
    Here is a copy of my mountdevsubfs.sh so you can see ware I had to copy and paste the magic boot into as there is no magic boot in Kubuntu 8.10 that I saw.
    Code:
    #! /bin/sh
    ### BEGIN INIT INFO
    # Provides:     mountdevsubfs
    # Required-Start:  mountkernfs
    # Required-Stop:
    # Should-Start:   udev
    # Default-Start:   S
    # Default-Stop:
    # Short-Description: Mount special file systems under /dev.
    # Description:    Mount the virtual filesystems the kernel provides
    #          that ordinarily live under the /dev filesystem.
    ### END INIT INFO
    #
    # This script gets called multiple times during boot
    #

PATH=/lib/init:/sbin:/bin
    TTYGRP=5
    TTYMODE=620
    [ -f /etc/default/devpts ] && . /etc/default/devpts

TMPFS_SIZE=
    [ -f /etc/default/tmpfs ] && . /etc/default/tmpfs

KERNEL="$(uname -s)"

. /lib/lsb/init-functions
    . /lib/init/mount-functions.sh

do_start () {
    	#
    	# Mount a tmpfs on /dev/shm
    	#
    	SHM_OPT=
    	[ "${SHM_SIZE:=$TMPFS_SIZE}" ] && SHM_OPT=",size=$SHM_SIZE"
    	domount tmpfs shmfs /dev/shm tmpfs -onosuid,nodev$SHM_OPT

#
    	# Mount /dev/pts. Master ptmx node is already created by udev.
    	#
        domount devpts "" /dev/pts devpts -onoexec,nosuid,gid=$TTYGRP,mode=$TTYMODE

#Magic to make /proc/bus/usb work

mkdir -p /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs
    	domount usbfs "" /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs -obusmode=0700,devmode=0600,listmode=0644
    	ln -s .usbfs/devices /dev/bus/usb/devices
    	mount --rbind /dev/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb

}

case "$1" in
     "")
    	echo "Warning: mountdevsubfs should be called with the 'start' argument." >&2
    	do_start
    	;;
     start)
    	do_start
    	;;
     restart|reload|force-reload)
    	echo "Error: argument '$1' not supported" >&2
    	exit 3
    	;;
     stop)
    	# No-op
    	;;
     *)
    	echo "Usage: mountdevsubfs [start|stop]" >&2
    	exit 3
    	;;
    esac
    It looks bad but it's not.

Noel Vh
    ++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Comment

Originally posted by Emass
      An other question.
      I now have two partitions, one of windows vista and one of kubuntu. On Mac leopard it is possible to load windows in a mac venster. So windows is loaded in a venster inside mac. Is this possible for kubuntu and how complicated will it be? I really like kubuntu but for my job I need adobe photoshop so I have to load into vista every now and then.

Replies are very much appreciated!
      Hi!

As noelvh already mentioned, vbox is the easier to install solution. It needs some tricks with usb management, so please post again if you stuck there.
      I agree with noelvh, that vista is really really resources demanding. You may want to test XP also.

Anyway! The vbox installers (deb scripts) are there (freeware edition for home users only, more complete)
      : http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
      Otherwise, you can install the open source edition, from the repositories.

PS. I'm not familiar neither with photoshop, nor with it's online freeware version, but just in case, you may want to try running photoshop at wine.
      If you will be satisfied with wine, you can avoid loading an entire OS (windows) for running photoshop.
      You can read the good news there:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ication&iId=17

Speak &quot;Friend&quot; and enter, or...

Comment

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately I am still trying to get my second screen to work. I managed to get an ATi control panel installed, and there was in fact an option to set a second screen. Me thinking I finally did it the damn thing did indeed crash.
        It's just a few clicks to set in windows why is it so much harder/impossible to do on kubuntu? I cannot live without my second screen. :P

I did install wine and it really is an amazing easy program. I have not tried to install photoshop yet though.

However I do am stuck with Virtualbox. I installed the program but I don't know how to set it up so it sees the other partition. If I follow the steps I have to give the virtual machine a name and set the OS type, next window I select the amount of ram, whcih i set to 2.5 gig but then I get lost. It lets me either make a new image or browse for an existing one. When I chose new it's going to make a new partition and when I chose existing it lets me browse to an image. I have no clue where this image suppose to be.

Oh and I have 4 gig of ram in my computer so I think that should be able to run kubuntu and vista if I take it easy.

Comment

I installed the program but I don't know how to set it up so it sees the other partition.
          Ok I am not sure what you are trying to do here but I will show you how I share files between the host and guest. I set up a VBox share folder, and map the guest OS to it. From there I only can see what I put inside it, so I create links to other folders in it. So now what ever I link to the VBshare will be seen by the guest. I hope that helps.

As you say you have 4gb of ram, that is good and I hope vista works well there for you. I use XP in VM and it flies really fast. Well I cheated I use Win FLP XP http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Fundamentals. So I have stripped down XP that run every thing I can't in Linux/wine.

As for the packaged version, I was never able to get USB working on it so I went with the one from Virtual Box web site. I know the package one will update with the update system tray tool. The version I use lets me know of an up date, I download it, uninstall the current version
          Code:
          sudo dpkg -r virtualbox-2
          You have to play with the deb name a bit but it is based on the downloaded deb.
          Then I just install the new version. This takes me less than 5 minutes.

One point to point out is Vbox dose not offer 3d video support so you will not be able to run 3d graphic applications. It is my understanding VMware dose offer this support.

Noel Vh
          ++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Comment

After a whole freaking day of troubleshooting I finally got the second screen to work. For other people that have the same problem, I fixed it by trying and trying ati drivers, and in the end the ati control panel randomly started working.
            I cannot get adobe photoshop to work though. I'll just boot into vista, hopefully I'll get vbox to work for this. Now I got my second screen to work I think I will really stick to kubuntu! I really love it! I really appreciate the help.

I have an other question if you don't mind. I'm just curious what programs you use for whatever around linux. I'm pretty familiar with windows software, but linux is new ground for me. I just don't know what software is good and what not. So what proram do you use for listening music, playing movies, torrenting, msn and such?

I will try vbox tomorrow again. I'm now going to enjoy doing my daily stuff on my new OS.

Comment

Originally posted by Emass
              I have an other question if you don't mind. I'm just curious what programs you use for whatever around linux. I'm pretty familiar with windows software, but linux is new ground for me. I just don't know what software is good and what not. So what proram do you use for listening music, playing movies, torrenting, msn and such?

I will try vbox tomorrow again. I'm now going to enjoy doing my daily stuff on my new OS.
              I think this just a matter of personal taste.
              Different persons, different needs!
              Linux is the heart of the GNU world, a world of freedom!
              That means, you can explore much more choices, beyond the obvious.
              Anyway! I agree that is a good thing to begin with a well known program who has a large number of users around the world.

My personal preference for media player is VLC, that I was using at windows too.
              I'm not chatting, only mailing, so I'm not familiar with msn like instant messengers.
              For torrenting, I'm using azureus v.4, but if you don't care about vuze community torrents, ktorrent is also a really good choice at my opinion.

Be sure to take a look at the official Ubuntu guide:

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.10/switchi...uivalents.html
              and maybe at this page too:
              http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/...ndows_software

Good Luck and enjoy your exploration!!!
              8)
              Speak &quot;Friend&quot; and enter, or...

Comment

Working...
              X