This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is there a graphical disk management application

I've just installed Kubuntu for the first time and I have to say it's been quite impressive. I've had some issues with the ALPS touchpad but I believe that I've worked thru those. A simple sort of default touchpad manager such as opensue provides would be helpful. My question is, 'is there a graphical disk management application in 8.10?" I've seen some questions using google search that sort of allude to the fact that previous versions of Kubuntu had such an application under system settings/advanced. My installation unfortunately appears to lack any such disk management application. I saw a thread that suggested doing an apt-get install systemsettings. I tried that but the response was (I'm paraphrasing here) the most current version is already installed.

All in all 8.10 is superior to opensuse 11 based on my experience. Package management certainly is quite impressive. And KDE4 is spectacular. I've had the desktop freeze up three times but I think I have found a thread that is going to help with that...something about swap. Anyway, I guess I'd just like to know if there is supposed to be a graphical disk management application or not and if so what is it called?

Thanks for any/all assistance.

Re: is there a graphical disk management application

Maybe I'm just stupid. What is a graphical disk management application? Is there a Windows equivalent? What do you want it to do?
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Possibly KMenu>System Settings>Advanced>Disks & Filesystems?

Comment

Not in II running KDE 4.1.3. Those who have installed and are running II with KDE 4.2 beta have many of the System Settings goodies we were used to seeing in KDE 3.5.x.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

mountmanager?
          http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3099970.0
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

To Arochester's question of 'what am I trying to do'? I have two hard drives which I swap in the same laptop.  I have OpenSUSE 11 on one, Kubuntu 8.10 on the other. In OpenSUSE there is a tool called YAST ( yet another setup tool). In YAST there are two graphically based applications, one displays the LVM setup, should you use LVM. The other is a disk management app which shows allocations, FS types, etc. Both present graphical reporting/management capabilities. I'm attempting to compare OpenSUSE and Kubuntur GUI based disk management apps.

To Dibl, I don't see Disk & Filesystems?

To everyone, Thanks so much for your assistance.

Comment

Not in II running KDE 4.1.3.
              Snowhog, what does the II mean in the above? Re the OP's post, I do see the disks and filesystems information exactly as Dibl posted...I'm using KDE 3.5.9. Alex
              Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad R52, Kubuntu 9.04 (KDE)<br />Desktop: Lenovo Thinkcentre, Fedora 13 (Gnome)

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander Barnes
                Not in II running KDE 4.1.3.
                what does the II mean in the above?
                II means Intrepid Ibex

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog

Those who have installed and are running II with KDE 4.2 beta have many of the System Settings goodies we were used to seeing in KDE 3.5.x.
                  No, KDE 4.2 doesn't have it either, I just remembered that from 3.5. I haven't run across a GUI view of the hard drives, except for GParted.

Comment

have you tried looking for YAST in the kubuntu repos ?
                    if not the devs of yast may have there own repo to allow you to install it,
                    or you could always just download the .deb file and dbl click to install it using the unseen debian package installer.
                    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
                    X