This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing amarok 2

I am trying to install amarok 2 on my kubuntu 8.10 kde4 system. The kubuntu website instructs me to add a repository and then update my packages, however, adding this repository has led to an error:

E: Type 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-mem...de4/ubuntudeb' is not known on line 54 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list
    E: The list of sources could not be read.
    Go to the repository dialog to correct the problem.
    E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

What does that mean? How do I fix it?

Re: Installing amarok 2

the repo listing found on line 54 of your sources list is incorrect. if you added it via Adept, delete the entry and try again.
    From your error message, the line is shown as:
    and it should look like this:
    If it still won't work, you can manually add the line by hitting alt-F2 keys, enter the command
    Code:
    kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list
    which will open the file in your text editor with sudo privileges so you can simply paste the correct line there

Comment

I fixed the code so that line 54 reads:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-members-kde4/ubuntu intrepid main

Although that error message did not pop up this time, it still failed when retrieving the packages.
      I found a place where I can download the tarball, but have no idea how to install it. Can anyone help me either figure out whats wrong with the package handler or help teach me to directly install a tarball?

Comment

Code:
        Did you fetch updates after editing the file? I did forget to mention that part. If you have done that, to help pinpoint the problem, we will need to see a better error message by using a terminal.

open konsole, and type in these commands:
        [code]sudo apt-get update
        followed by
        [sudo apt-get install amarok-kde4[/code]

With tarballs, you don't actually have a program that is ready to run as it contains the actual source code, and not anything executable. You would need to download a bunch of tools and libraries and then compile and install the program. for now it will be much easier to fix the problem in the package manager

Comment

Working...
        X