This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next good workhorse release ?

About 3 months ago I downloaded the current version and having been using it 99% of the time 14 hours a day!

Just Office stuff and Firefox. Plus Gimp.

Can't get You-tube to work or any BBC News video clips.

So I downloaded the latest a greatest 8.10 release and errr,,,,, it was empty of applications.

I was hoping for more day to day applications and a nice generous Application downloader but obviously I missed the point..

So two questions:-

1) Any ideas on getting the missing Video clip functionality working ?

2) How can I tell when the next release of a version that is better than the one I've been using is offered ? (Better as in more applications that are integrated and working ( ?

Tim

Re: Next good workhorse release ?

1) Any ideas on getting the missing Video clip functionality working ?
    you need to install the flashplugin-nonfree from Adept.

2) How can I tell when the next release of a version that is better than the one I've been using is offered ? (Better as in more applications that are integrated and working ( ?
    http://www.kubuntu.org or http://distrowatch.com

So I downloaded the latest a greatest 8.10 release and errr,,,,, it was empty of applications.
    what apps were not included?
    &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim036

That's an odd comment.

Could it be the case that you did not enable the package repositories? Open KMenu>System>Adept Package Manager, click the top left icon on the side and then the "Sources" tab, disable the CD ROM as a source, and enable "Universe" "Multiverse" "Restricted", then "quit" followed by "fetch".

There are actually over 25,000 packages available, that's why I found your comment unusual.

Comment

[quote=CVPunk ]
        1)

you need to install the flashplugin-nonfree from Adept.

Tried to do that using add.remove programs and it could not find it using search.

I must be doing something wrong ?

What do I put in search?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated !

Tim

Comment

First, There's a bug in 8.10 which prevents displaying packages from third-party repositories. open Konsole... and type sudo update-apt-xapian-index and hit enter, then put in your password.

Open Adept Package Manager (KMenu >Applications >System >Package Manager)
          click on the Sources button (globe), click Edit Software Sources, make sure all the boxes are checked in the Kubuntu Software tab, click on the Third-Party Software tab and check all the boxes (uncheck cdrom:.. ) , click Close and it should update your software sources automatically.
          Then click on Search and type in flas (you only need the first four letters of a package)
          click the package and it should expand then put a check in the box where it says install this package

You might also want to add the Medibuntu repos..
          to do this, open Konsole...
          type sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/intrepid.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list and hit enter, then put in your password.
          then type sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get update

&quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

Originally posted by CVPunk
            First, There's a bug in 8.10 which prevents displaying packages from third-party repositories. open Konsole... and type sudo update-apt-xapian-index and hit enter, then put in your password.

click on the Sources button (globe), click Edit Software Sources, make sure all the boxes are checked in the Kubuntu Software tab, click on the Third-Party Software tab and check all the boxes (uncheck cdrom:.. ) , click Close and it should update your software sources automatically.
            Then click on Search and type in flas (you only need the first four letters of a package)
            click the package and it should expand then put a check in the box where it says install this package

You might also want to add the Medibuntu repos..
            to do this, open Konsole...
            type sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/intrepid.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list and hit enter, then put in your password.
            then type sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get update

What is:- Medibuntu ?

Tim

Comment

It was the pre- Oct version I was updating . And it didn't work.

Seem to be installed OK but still you tube/BBc news video clips say this:-

Cannot play media.You do not have the correct version of the flash player. Download the correct version

Oh well......

Tim

Comment

What is:- Medibuntu
                another repository for things like Adobe Reader and such.
                I'd say to try and put in the Medibuntu repos and try to do a search in Adept for the flashplugin-nonfree

Comment

What is:- Medibuntu
                  another repository for things like Adobe Reader and such.
                  I'd say to try and put in the Medibuntu repos and try to do a search in Adept for the flashplugin-nonfree
                  The software updated itself ! and on youtube this is the error message:-

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

Also how do I remove any failed attempts so I have a clean start? On the pre Oct version of this OS ?

Many thanks,

Tim

Comment

I'm using the 64 bit version of Kubunti, is that a different download?

Also how do I remove any failed attempts so I have a clean start? On the pre Oct version of this OS ?
                    64bit and 32bit all grab from the same repositories. If your system is up to date then it should not matter if it was a pre-Oct. download. Don't download the Adobe Flash Player from the Adobe website... use Adept Package Manager.

open Adept package manager. (not add/remove) in the package manager make sure you have all the repositories selected in the Kubuntu software and Third-party software tabs. Add the Medibuntu repositories. After you have done those steps (that I posted in detail above) click on the Source button to update the sources list.
                    then, click on Search and do a search for Flashplugin-nonfree, Sun-java6, and kubuntu-restricted extras.
                    install those and everything should work.

Comment

I'm using the 64 bit version of Kubunti, is that a different download?

64bit and 32bit all grab from the same repositories. If your system is up to date then it should not matter if it was a pre-Oct. download. Don't download the Adobe Flash Player from the Adobe website... use Adept Package Manager.

open Adept package manager. (not add/remove) in the package manager make sure you have all the repositories selected in the Kubuntu software and Third-party software tabs. Add the Medibuntu repositories. After you have done those steps (that I posted in detail above) click on the Source button to update the sources list.
                      then, click on Search and do a search for Flashplugin-nonfree, Sun-java6, and kubuntu-restricted extras.
                      install those and everything should work.
                      Wow ! It all works now both in video and sound ! I do hope on the next serious release all that stuff works out of the box !

I had to coax Gimp into life and Stellarium but that needed the most support !

Thank you so much for your patience ! It was very very greatly appreciated !

Tim

Comment

no problem, glad I could help.

I do hope on the next serious release all that stuff works out of the box !
                        not so sure that will happen with with any of the actual *buntu desktop OS's. There are other distro's based on Ubuntu that put in a lot of the multi-media codecs.. Linux Mint springs to mind.

Comment

Ah !

Linux mint here I come !

Tim

Comment

Linux Mint is actually pretty decent. My 7yr old daughter uses Linux Mint 5 with the XFCE desktop environment. Linux Mint 5 is available with Gnome, KDE3.5, or XFCE.
                            I believe the newest Linux Mint 6 is only available in Gnome with the others coming soon.

You can find out more here... http://linuxmint.com/

Comment

Working...
                            X