Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My computer got no sound after package installation...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My computer got no sound after package installation...

Hi there, I'm new no Linux and tomorrow decided to install Kubuntu 8.04. Installation was easy, everything worked fine and I loved the system, but after installing Firefox, Java, KDE games, etc, I just noticed my computer had no sound anymore. Sound stopped working at Windows as well. When I try to increase sound at the sound icon at windows my motherboard starts beeping. If anyone could help...

Re: My computer got no sound after package installation...

That's suggests hardware failure, I'm afraid. It was likely mere happenstance that it happened during your package installation. ; /
    KDE, I heart thee.

Comment

Would you be able to tell us a little more about your pc...make size model etc?
      Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
        MB Asus P5K SE
        GeForce 8600 GT
        2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD

Thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by Zorael
          That's suggests hardware failure, I'm afraid. It was likely mere happenstance that it happened during your package installation. ; /
          Yep, I'm afraid of that too. I can't fix my pc now, I'll have to wait without my music and videos...

Comment

Have you tried to reconfigure your sound card with alsamixer

Bring up your terminal programme (konsole) in your kmenu

type the following

sudo alsamixer

followed by your password

If you have alsa installed you should see a row of graphs which show the sound levels for your pc. Do any of them have MM at the bottom?

Alternatively open up k menu and access your system settings
            Sound System
            Click on the hardware button

What does it say where it says select audio device
            Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

Working...
            X