This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's with knetworkmanager in 8.10?

Ever since I installed Intrepid knetworkmanager doesn't want to connect to internet via wifi. Up to now, the nm-applet for Gnome has done the job for me, but now even that is gone? Knm picks up the wifi-card, and sees the network, but simply doesn't try to connect. So now I have to plug a wired connection to post this.
    In my Hardy installation knetworkmanager works fine, and gets me online everytime.

Re: What's with knetworkmanager in 8.10?

Yeah I have same problem! I have to manually start knetworkmanager every time I login despite the fact that I have added it to the startup config. Whats more is that when I do connect (right click on icon and choose the network) it drops the connection sporadically with no warning or error message. I have really come to hate knetworkmanager!
    I tried Enlightenment once, it was pretty cool.

Comment

I have found that there are several ways to edit a connection, and that going all the way through the 'wizard' makes a difference. To try this, run knetworkmanager (if it's not already.) Click on your KNM icon and choose 'Edit Connections.' Delete all the connections in the list. Now click 'New connection', choose wireless, and you should see a list of the wireless connections available around you. Follow through all steps of the wizard thing that opens!! On the very last screen there's a check box which you may select to 'connect automatically.' Once you've configured a new connection and instructed it to connect automatically, your KNM should find and connect to your device as soon as it starts up.

Comment

If you have a 'vanilla' network connection, check your /etc/network/interfaces file. It should only contain the following - in most cases:
        auto lo
        iface lo inet loopback
        If your file has any other entries, comment them out.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I had the same identical trouble --- knetworkmanager seems broken for now. My solution was to get and install the package WCID from http://wicd.longren.org, just add to your /etc/apt/sources.list:
          Code:
          deb [url]http://wicd.longren.org[/url] intrepid extras
          Similar issues have already been reported, see:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3098341.0

Let me tell you: I am very happy with "wcid" at least for now.

Isix
          Cheers,<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Isix<br />______________________________________<br />&quot;Views and opinions expressed by me are not necessarily true --- they merely remain my views and opinions&quot;<br />______________________________________

Comment

Originally posted by Isix
            I had the same identical trouble --- knetworkmanager seems broken for now.
            It isn't broken for me, and has never been broken. I've used nothing but knetworkmanager since I first came to Linux, starting with Feisty Fawn, and now with Intrepid Ibex.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

... sorry Snowhog --- I admit that the phrase knetworkmanager seems broken for now is an over-generalization, which is wrong.

Cheers,
              Isix
              Cheers,<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Isix<br />______________________________________<br />&quot;Views and opinions expressed by me are not necessarily true --- they merely remain my views and opinions&quot;<br />______________________________________

Comment

Working...
              X