This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switcher from XP to Kubuntu - Can't connect w/ Wireless

Hi all. I just put Kubuntu in as a "windows installation" to dual-boot... and it's much prettier than boring old XP, and frankly, runs a little smoother.

My question is, I put this on a semi-aging Dell laptop that has a WiFi PCMCIA card on it. Kubuntu sees it, apparently can control it, but I'm having troubles getting it to scan for SSIDs or even connect to a manually entered SSID. I also can't find my "device properties" menu that I had in windows. Is that a side-effect of installing it through windows?

Any suggestions?

Re: Switcher from XP to Kubuntu - Can't connect w/ Wireless

Generally look at "Top Kubuntu FAQs & Answers" at http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3099811.0 - page down to question #8 "Wireless Doesn't Work.".

I used a laptop (R.I.P) with a pcmcia card. I found the app called wifi-radar better for connecting than knetworkmanager. Some people now prefer the app wicd. But if you are presently connecting with a cable beware! Wicd will remove knetworkmanager, so you might have NO connection and than wicd needs configuring
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Don't worry about losing your wired connection when you remove knetworkmanager. If it should happen, just follow the instructions at:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3100052.0

And then you can finish installing wicd.

Comment

what type of card is it?

I have found in the past, that just because Kubuntu says it see's your wireless card, it doesn't mean that it knows what to do with it...and if it is not showing the available networks (SSID's), then I doubt any other 'management' program is going to help.

mm0
        Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Working...
        X