Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Accessing a network storage device (Linksys NAS200)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accessing a network storage device (Linksys NAS200)

HI,
    I've installed Kubuntu on my laptop & am trying to get access to a Network storage device (Linksys NAS200 drive), which was working under Windows fine. The CD which came with the NAS drive doesn't install in Linux OS's as it doesn't seem to recognise .exe files.

Has anyone any ideas on how I can remedy this, bearing in mind that I'm not very used to manually setting up these sorts of things.

Any help would be very much appreciated, as I can't face going back to using Windows, and am lovin' Kubuntu.

Re: Accessing a network storage device (Linksys NAS200)

i don't know anything about this device in particular.
    in general...
    no, windoze binaries do not run directly under linux.
    different operating systems, different formats!
    that shouldn't matter much, though.
    NAS devices are self contained units.
    so, the services they provided to windoze, they will provide under linux as well.
    well, let's say they should.
    i expect your unit to have a web based administration interface.
    if you have it connected it to your network, then try put its ip address in firefox.
    it should then ask username and password...
    yeah?
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Thanks for that info.

I've now actually managed to access it in this way, which is very useful especially when away from home.

I still need to figure out how to get direct access locally, as within the normal browser method.

Thanks again.

Comment

May I ask which version of Kubuntu you are using. I am having a similar problem with Version 8.10. I have 2 machines one with 8.04 and the other with 8.10 the 8.04 box has no problem accessing the files on my NAS. It is whole differnt matter with 8.10.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X