X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't print in GIMP

Hi Folks,
    Running Hardy Heron excellently on an intel machine with an 7600GS video card. ( too chicken to try 8.10 yet )
    I installed GIMP, but there is no print option under the file menu. So far the internet searches I have found make no sense to me. Gimp print, Guten-Print?? What are these print drivers exclusively for Gimp? I have two printers an HP Deskjet and a Lexmark Laser that are both working fine. Can someone explain nicely how I can fix this or point me in the right direction.
    Is Photoprint any good? I can't find any info about it. I'm looking for an alternative to Fotoslate by ACDSEE.
    Thanks
    D

Re: Can't print in GIMP

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gimp-gutenprint

Comment

Well that's the easy part.
      What I don't understand is how does GIMP install without the print option under the file menu?
      Did I do a bad install? Does GIMP always install without a print option? Do you have to install gutenprint to get the print option in GIMP?
      Will installing gutenprint effect the printer drivers I have picked through the KDE Add printer wizard? Because my lexmark e232 is not listed as a supported printer in gutenprint?
      I know I'm not getting it, something about old dogs and new tricks, but heck I'm doing pretty good with this Kubuntu thing.

Also no word on Photoprint?

Comment

About Photoprint. It's a good program for printing pictures. I am having a problem making it run on Intrepid. It ran fine on Hardy. I'm getting a "segmentation fault" which may indicate some kind of permissions problem. I'm still trying to track it down.

Comment

yea my GIMP also has not print under the file menu i do remember printing with it once when i had 7.10 installed..

could you use Gwenview to print instead ? its included w/ kde.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Yes, Gwenview is an excellent choice. The "Print Wizard" is great. It's under "Plugins" >"Images".

Comment

Arrrggg, in Gwenview. How did I miss that!! Arrrggggg
              Oh well, you have to learn something new everyday.
              Thanks for the info gents.

So I have to ask, will installing gutenprint mess up the KDE print drivers of my printers with other Apps?
              And why isn't gutenprint in the repos?

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by danzer

So I have to ask, will installing gutenprint mess up the KDE print drivers of my printers with other Apps?
                No, it just gives you more drivers to select from. Shouldn't change the drivers you are using now.

Comment

ok i would like to revamp what i said eariler.. there is a print option in gimp just not in the toolbar's file menu.
                  you can find it in the file menu of the picture that you want to print.. check the link to the screen shot i posted for you. and you will see what i mean.

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/mkporta...lbum/a_236.png

and on gutenprint.
                  i was able to find it in the repos (i have multiverse enabled and have added the metabuntu repo)
                  you can install it by this command
                  Code:
                  sudo apt-get install gimp-gutenprint
                  Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                  (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys.
                    But I swear there was no print option anywhere, in any of the file windows in gimp. I went bonkers
                    But everything is beautiful.
                    Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X