Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perfectbuntu script for the newbies.. Automates many necessities.. DVD, MP3 etc

It's called Perfectbuntu. A script that automates the installation of Java, Flash, Firefox, ability to play .Mp3's, etc. but it asks you step by step if you want to install each one.

You can find it here:

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/l...les/16968.aspx

There are a lot of other articles that are really helpful. From the site:

"The script was created by Robbie Ferguson of Category5 TV, a weekly vidcast all about Ubuntu Linux."

The only downside is that it automates everything so you won't learn like you should. Some people just want it to work first. I ended up doing most of the things in the script before I found it though. Up to you if you want to use it, But I can tell you it works great.
    8.10 Intrepid

Re: Perfectbuntu script for the newbies.. Automates many necessities.. DVD, MP3 etc

I'm glad that that script worked well for you. However, I should mention that, in the past, other scripts e.g. Automatix and Easy Ubuntu (if I remember the names correctly) worked well for many people, but caused disastrous failures for others. In general the authors of such scripts make assumptions about the hardware, software, and preferences of the potential script users. These assumptions cover many users, BUT NOT ALL. As a result, unless you know that your system corresponds to ALL the assumptions (including the ones he or she didn't consider) of the script writer, I'd stay away from them.

Comment

Re: Perfectbuntu script for the newbies.. Automates many necessities.. DVD, MP3 etc

Thanks for your reply. I can see how that could happen. This one asks you on every step if you want to install each component or not. It installs:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
      * Installation of Multi Media Codecs - This will install Codecs to play .avi, .wmv, .mov, and more.

* Installation of Codecs for DVD player functionality - This lets you play DVDs on your Kubuntu installation.

* Installation of SpamAssasin - If you are using Kmail then you already have Bogofilter installed, but this is nice as an extra spam-fighting measure.

* Installation of fonts - This option installs all the standard Windows true type fonts. Also, a large number of free fonts will be installed. If you answer yes to this option, then be prepared for a long download
      time. Otherwise, you can decline to install the fonts.

* Installation of Wine - Wine can be handy if you want to run Windows programs. However it's not always easy to get Windows programs to work under Wine.

* Installation of the Avant Dockbar - A very nice dock bar for Ubuntu - see the image below.

Avant Dockbar

* Installation of Skype - If you used this on Windows, then you can install it on Linux as well.

* Installation of several archive extractors - For extracting 7z, ZIP, Zip64, CAB, RAR, ARJ, GZIP, BZIP2, TAR, CPIO, RPM, ISO and DEB archives.

Below added by Berry van der Linden:

* Installation of Remastersys - Remastersys can make a live backup CD of your installation of Kubuntu. I will be writing an article about Remastersys soon.

* Installation of Firefox - If you like using Firefox then say yes to this one.

* Installation of Java and Flash - If you like to watch videos or play games online, then these two are a must.

* Installation of Mplayer and VLC - If MPlayer can't play it, then VLC will. They will both be a great addition to the standard players in Kubuntu.

When you run Perfectbuntu-1.5.3, it will ask you what to install.
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I apologize if it was improper to post. Please delete if you think it may cause a problem.
      8.10 Intrepid

Comment

There are a couple of things that make me advice against using this script:

1. It uses a lot of forcing when installing the packages (This has been a problem with previous scripts as well)...usually when a package installation asks a question, it is for a good reason...forcing a 'yes' answer to all questions can lead to problems.
        2. The script is clearly geared to ubuntu/gnome, not the best package choices for kubuntu/kde
        3. The script does install some packages without prompting (xnest and ccsm, which is utterly useless to most kde users)

As askrieger already mentioned, assumptions are a problem with these type of scripts (I'd also generally advice against running scripts you find on the net as root, anyway)

I'd wish instead of creating scripts, someone would just provide a sources file to put in /etc/apt/sources.list.d and a package list to install.

Comment

I'd wish instead of creating scripts, someone would just provide a sources file to put in /etc/apt/sources.list.d and a package list to install.
          The Dutch Ubuntu User's Group used to provide a page that did (almost) exactly that. However the link that used to lead to the source-o-matic page now goes to a list of links to (mostly) non-existent templates (in Dutch).

Comment

While it isn't as super easy as it could be, most of the things above are already available in the standard repos, and adding in medibuntu's repo hits the rest.

For Kubuntu, you install kubuntu-restricted-extras to get quite a lot of the multimedia bits. But a nifty metapackage to pull in the medibuntu stuff would be nice, or something along those lines. maybe a checkbox in the software sources section for medibuntu to select.

Comment

Working...
            X