This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INSTALLING PROGRAMS

I am new to Linux and I dowloaded java (JRE and JDK) so I can install and use Netbeans 6.5. I dowloaded the file the desktop and I can't seem to install the .bin file. Am I supposed to use "adept" program to install files. I'm looking for some help

Thanks,
    Matacus

Re: INSTALLING PROGRAMS

Yes, it is best to use adept (I prefer synaptic, you can install it with adept).

You can search for Java, JDK, etc.

You'll need to enable most repositories, see here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Kubuntu

You may want to install the meta-package kubuntu-restricted-extras will install java and other goodies
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

(see the legal disclaimer in that page, too)

Cheers!

Comment

Yeah try adept first.

I ran into some problems with adept + JAVA. It just bombed out. *If* adept fails to install java then do this:
      sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin
      sudo update-alternatives --config java

Something about java's legal agreement thing & adept doesn't gel, but it works from the command line.

Comment

Assuming you are really new...

Go to K menu > Apps > System

Open Konsole... then follow the instructions as typed above...

type in:
        sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin

... and hit enter. It will ask you for your password. Then type:

sudo update-alternatives --config java

hit enter again

Comment

Welcome!

I would agree with what everyone else has said here.

As someone new to Linux a very useful thing to recognise is that the package manager is your friend. As I read in a magazine recently, downloading from the net and installing is the Windows way. Unless you are dealing with a commercial program you will most likely find it in the repositories where it has been specially packaged for you and with links to dependencies so that any other needed programs are installed too. It really is very clever.

Programs like Java, flash etc are freely available in the default repositories. Another repository (medibuntu) contains packages to view Windows media files in firefox, and one so you can watch that DVD on your Linux PC, subject to it not being illegal in your country of course!

A quick tip - say you want a graphics program. Open synaptic or adept and put graphics in the search box and it will come up with a list of graphics related packages. If you pick one and it's not your cup of tea, you can remove it via the package manager and install another. That's the beauty, you have a wide range of choices.

It is bewildering at times but still really great to have such variety and so much great software freely available so have yourself some fun.

Ian

Comment

Working...
          X