This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux Help!

So I recently installed Linux Kubuntu 8.10 on my HP Laptop. It's an AMD laptop with 2.1GHz speed and also has ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics. But I have a problem with it.

Whenever I try to apply a change on Kubuntu the screen turns black. Not entirely black but the windows are black inside with a gray outline but it is impossible to see anything.

Can anyone give me some support on how to make it so when I apply a change my Laptop doesn't flip out.

Also whenever this happens I need to re-install Kubuntu. Can someone please help on how me on changing it back to normal and also making it work so I can apply changes.

Re: Linux Help!

Not sure why it would be doing that, other than that ATI support and linux have been an issue for quite a while. I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable will be able to help you, but until then, after you apply the changes can you Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to restart X and re-login? If not, what does it do?

Comment

I'm pretty sure that your problem is connect to the video drivers in use.

You'll just have to trial&error until you find a driver that works for you. You don't have to reinstall every time....you can set the video driver by editing xorg.conf (located in /etc/X11/xorg.conf). The interesting line is "driver". It will either be set to:
      vesa (safest bet)
      radeonhd (more advanced, needs to be installed manually)
      fglrx (The driver thats installed via the restricted driver module)

The fglrx driver is nice because it enables 3D acceleration for my graphics card. i.e. enables all the funky desktop effects like transparency. But 3d support also depends on which graphics card you've got.

Find a setting to works, and then make a copy of the xorg.conf so that you've got something to fall back on.

Comment

I would back up my xorg.conf file. Then if it gets screwed up just boot single user and re-copy the old one over the new one so you can play with it.

Comment

http://www.albertomilone.com/envyngfaq.html#A this is a third party program solved my nvida issues long ago . it may work for you it also has support for ati cards

Comment

Originally posted by HavocXphere
            I'm pretty sure that your problem is connect to the video drivers in use.

You'll just have to trial&error until you find a driver that works for you. You don't have to reinstall every time....you can set the video driver by editing xorg.conf (located in /etc/X11/xorg.conf). The interesting line is "driver". It will either be set to:
            vesa (safest bet)
            radeonhd (more advanced, needs to be installed manually)
            fglrx (The driver thats installed via the restricted driver module)

The fglrx driver is nice because it enables 3D acceleration for my graphics card. i.e. enables all the funky desktop effects like transparency. But 3d support also depends on which graphics card you've got.

Find a setting to works, and then make a copy of the xorg.conf so that you've got something to fall back on.
            I am really newbie with this, can you give me a step by step guide on how to do this.

Comment

RadeonHD - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonHD

Vesa - Installed by default

fglrx - Use the built-in restricted driver module to install. i.e. On the KMenu -> Applications -> System -> Hardware drivers.

Start with fglrx & make a backup like hern_28 said. You'll need to overwrite the xorg.conf with your backup if one of the drivers you tried doesn't work.

Comment

I had the same problem on my machine until I enabled the non-free nvidia drivers.

Without 3d acceleration support some of the window effects and such will cause your screen to show only white, black and grey blocks where the windows once were...

Get your 3D on and I bet you're fine.

For me it was simple, used the hardware driver app as described above and clicked a box.

Comment

Thank you guys! I got it working thank you thank you!!

Comment

Working...
                  X