X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop crashing -- help!?

Hi all!

I've got a real conundrum here. I've been running Kubuntu on my laptop for a while now, it's been behaving quite well in fact! I have had Feisty Fawn on there for a while, then I was having battery issues, but just last week I finally got around to starting to update. I updated to Gutsy Gibbon last Tuesday, then just the last couple days it started acting very strange.

I was in the middle of stuff when the computer completely froze up. COMPLETELY. No response to keyboard or mouse input. I finally had to unplug it and pull the battery to get it to shut down. It rebooted just fine and I then shut it down and packed it up to go to a friend's house.

On Sunday I booted it up, and while in the middle of reading a document it froze again. I had to pull the battery again and I rebooted. It was a much slower, very sluggish boot, but it did get all the way into the OS before freezing again. I gave up and pulled the battery and put it away.

When I got home I decided to try installing Kubuntu from scratch again, I forget what version CD I have but I've had it a while. Except, it just barely gets booted up into Kubuntu from the CD and it freezes completely. Can't even open the install.

I really want to keep this laptop going, I can't afford another one at this time, but I'm completely baffled as to what might be causing this sudden freeze problem. I've never had that before!!

The laptop is a HP Pavilion N5452 (I think....I don't have it handy, I'm at school), got an AMD Athlon processor in there, and I'm trying to boot from a purchased Kubuntu CD that has worked perfectly well before. Oh, and when it does freeze up the little light that signals hard drive usage is continually on.

Any ideas of what I can do to get this laptop to stop freezing up and let me reinstall Kubuntu Help!!

~MJ~

Re: Laptop crashing -- help!?

Maybe you have hardware problems?

Ideas:

* unplug and remove the battery, leave it like this a few minutes, sometimes it;s some electric oddity
    * check the BIOS setup, if you see anything funny-- see if you can monitor the temperature
    * boot into the memory-check option, and let it run, see if the memory went bad
    * boot from a live cd, let it run, see if it freezes, maybe the disk could be bad?
    * try the latest Kubuntu if possible

Comment

Yeah lmilano is probably right: hardware.

It could also be a heat issue. Let the memory test run for a long time (6hours)...sometimes it takes hours before an error shows up (even though it went through all of the RAM 5x already).

I don't think its the harddrive...cause the liveCD doesn't touch the harddrive.

It's unlikely to be a kubuntu/software issue since the LiveCD works fine.

AMD athlons are know to run a bit on the hot side. Its also possible that you got so dust/gunk into the fan and/or heatsink. If the BIOS provides temperature measurements, then post them here. (AFTER the laptop has run for 1h+, not after a cold boot).

In short, I'd say either heat or RAM. Both of which are very fixable, but might cost a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by HavocXphere
        In short, I'd say either heat or RAM. Both of which are very fixable, but might cost a bit.
        +1
        I'd go for the memory test. Since you have continuous hdd activity it may well be due to writing into swap.

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
          Maybe you have hardware problems?

Ideas:

* unplug and remove the battery, leave it like this a few minutes, sometimes it;s some electric oddity
          * check the BIOS setup, if you see anything funny-- see if you can monitor the temperature
          * boot into the memory-check option, and let it run, see if the memory went bad
          * boot from a live cd, let it run, see if it freezes, maybe the disk could be bad?
          * try the latest Kubuntu if possible
          I did try the memory check, it went through one full pass, but maybe I'll try running it longer. I did request a new live CD, with the latest version of Kubuntu, because I can never get my desktop to burn those correctly. I looked in the BIOS and nothing seemed wrong, at least to me. But I could easily miss something.

Originally posted by HavocXphere
          Yeah lmilano is probably right: hardware.

It could also be a heat issue. Let the memory test run for a long time (6hours)...sometimes it takes hours before an error shows up (even though it went through all of the RAM 5x already).

I don't think its the harddrive...cause the liveCD doesn't touch the harddrive.

It's unlikely to be a kubuntu/software issue since the LiveCD works fine.

AMD athlons are know to run a bit on the hot side. Its also possible that you got so dust/gunk into the fan and/or heatsink. If the BIOS provides temperature measurements, then post them here. (AFTER the laptop has run for 1h+, not after a cold boot).

I was thinking I might have to pull things apart and play dust bunny homicide again, but I did just do that not too long ago (maybe a month ago) when I was having issues that my friend finally figured out was a faulty battery, so I really doubt there could be any dust bunnies by the processor so soon (I really thoroughly cleared every bit of dust from that fan).

I'll try running the memory test a bit longer tonight, and I'll see if the BIOS gives temperatures but I doubt it. I don't recall ever seeing that in there.

Just out of curiosity, what would be involved in fixing it if it's the heat issue? I don't have a lot of money right now (hence why I'm so desperate to keep this bugger running) but if I can get it running cooler that would be a very good thing! It's always run very hot.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm gonna try those when I get home tonight!!!

Comment

Originally posted by KnitChick
            Just out of curiosity, what would be involved in fixing it if it's the heat issue?
            Kind depends on what exactly is overheating. Either way, chances are that you won't be able to DIY it yourself...its easy to make mistakes with laptops & heating because the margin for error is so much smaller than on a desktop.

Comment

You could install gkrellm which would enable you to monitor the temperature.

Also, you might try booting with no acpi as a few years ago I had many fun and games with that - it didn't get on too well with the laptop I had at the time (duron processor) and it would cause very similar problems to those you are having - freezes and overheating. That might be worth a try.

Ian

Comment

That's right, you could run a hardware monitor, gkrellm, or ksensors (my favorite, KDE flavored).

Laptops are tricky. The simplest cause of over-heating could be if it uses a fan and it is either dead or disconnected (like if you unplugged it by accident when you pulled it apart for the battery replacement, I assume it was an internal battery??). Laptop fans don't constantly run, they should turn themselves on/off as needed. Another cause of heating could be the CPU cooler gone bad, etc. If the BIOS allows you, underclocking could help.

The memory check is best left running overnight.

Hope we fix this bugger!

Comment

I have much the same problem. It began today after installing Intrepid. Now I installed Intrepid because I screwed up my previous install. Surprisingly Intrepid worked very well until the system began dropping to the command line which mentions something about battery monitor then restarts KDM which brings me to the login screen.

I tried looking for the Dell laptop utilities but they are not in Intrepid's repository. 'Course they may not help.

Suggestions?
                  NTP

Comment

The package is called i8kutils, not exactly obvious. It's in the repository. Just installed on my dell 630m but can't see exactly what it does. However, it is a kernel module so presumably I need a reboot.

Battery monitor is, however, different I think. the common packages are kpowersave (which I use) or guidance-power-manager which is the default. I find the former much better.

I'm not sure from your post as to whether you are able to actually login via kdm or whether trying to do so takes you to the command line. Can you please expand?

Comment

Just for reference, when the fan went out on my HP laptop, the symptom for overheating is the computer will suddenly shutdown. No lock up or anything like that, it just shuts down, turns itself off. I think the fan was about $40 including shipping from HP. It was a good customer servie experience.

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
                        The package is called i8kutils, not exactly obvious. It's in the repository. Just installed on my dell 630m but can't see exactly what it does. However, it is a kernel module so presumably I need a reboot.

Battery monitor is, however, different I think. the common packages are kpowersave (which I use) or guidance-power-manager which is the default. I find the former much better.

I'm not sure from your post as to whether you are able to actually login via kdm or whether trying to do so takes you to the command line. Can you please expand?
                        Certainly, sorry for the confusion, I'm typing fast since I never know when the thing is going to crash. I now doubt it is a temperature issue. KDE drops completely to the command line. The system says it is checking battery state, then that it is resetting power management [?] (going from memory there) then restarts KDE leaving me at the login screen.

NTP

BTW i8kutils is not showing in the Intrepid repositories. Which repositories are you using?

Comment

universe/utils, but I'm not sure that this is your problem. I cannot make any recommendation that you install i8kutils as I am unable to actually detect it doing anything for me.

I wonder whether there is a problem with the power management from within kde. For example it should be consistently monitoring battery state, to enable it to respond to events like battery power levels, inactive periods etc. Is it forcing a logout?

What I can tell you is that on my laptop the combination of kpowersave and powerdevil works superbly. If you are using guidance-power manager you might try uninstalling it and changing to that combination. It might not work, but I can't see it doing any harm either.

Comment

Hmmm, I enabled the universe and multiverse repositories but still did not find it.

I'll try your suggestion. I have exited from Guidance but the crashes continue. I had considered removing it entirely, so will try that.

Could this be a KDE4 problem?
                            NTP

Although it is too early for celebration the situation "might" be resolved. About 150 updates came through today. The system crashed twice during the update process but has not crashed since.
                            NTP

Comment

The last round of updates have, apparently, resolved this issue. Some other issues have developed, or perhaps were masked by this one.

KDE frequently reports the monitor has having changed. The screen also flickers from time to time.

Thanks for your help.

NTP

Comment

Working...
                              X