This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Windows Refugee out in the cold with Kubuntu

As I'm making this thread, my Linuxing computer is wired up in the other room for the third time reinstalling Kubuntu. The problem is that it can't survive two boots or rather one reboot *when you've upgraded and updated* and then the next two boots.

After that, it gets as far as loading the Kubuntu logo and loading bar before giving me this:

* Configuring network interfaces. . .
    * Saving VESA state. . .
    * Loading ACPI modules. . .
    * Starting ACPI services. . .
    * Starting system log daemon. . .
    * Doing Wacom setup. . .
    * Starting kernel log daemon. . .
    * Starting system message bus dbus
    * Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon avahi-daemon
    * Starting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd
    * Running DKMS auto installation service for kernel 2.6.27-9-generic
    * nvidia (177.80). . .
    FATAL: Module sonypi not found.
    * Starting powernowd. . .
    * Starting the Winbind daemon winbind
    * Starting Hardware abstraction layer hald
    * Starting bluetooth
    * Starting NetworkManager. . .
    Starting K Display Manager: kdm.
    * Starting anac(h)ronistic cron anacron
    * Starting deferred execution scheduler atd
    * Starting periodic command scheduler crond
    * Enabling additional executable binary formats binfmt-support
    * Checking battery state. . .
    When this shows up, the screen typically flashes a few times, then just stays like that until a forced shutdown.

This is obviously the biggest concern. I've now spent half of a week with this, it is installing Kubuntu again with a clean format, and I'm now afraid to turn it off after it's done.

Problem #2 is sound. Sorry, I should have mentioned this before, but it's a laptop computer. By default, it afforded me sound on Dragon Player. Apart from that, there has not been sound on either Amarok or Kaffeine. I tried alsamixer and gained the sound on both of those, but then lost it on Dragon Player, which also plays more than Kaffeine as Kaffeine now does not recognise my sound devices. And this is just the internal speakers. The external speakers have never functioned.

Furthermore, Problem #3, this laptop computer carries several additional keys and switches, all of which are now totally useless. In fact, the eject key for my disc bay no longer functions. I must right click on the CD drive icon in Dolphin and eject it that way. One switch turned off the computer's graphics card for better power management. No go with that, as well. It possesses soft keys and other customisable hotkeys, all of which are nun point now.

Oh, and a bit of a small nitpick, Dolphin and Konquerer as file manager no longer allows you to rearrange icons, files, and folders freely as Windows file managers had. Is there something closer to its versatility in the works?

Haste would be much appreciated in my current situation. I'm slowly going mad at this turn of events, possibly going mad enough to return to Vista if it can't be resolved.

Re: New Windows Refugee out in the cold with Kubuntu

First, it would be helpful if you tell us what version of Kubuntu you are attempting to install, and whether it's 32- or 64-bit.
    Second, what hardware does your laptop have - type of HD (IDE, PATA, SATA, ...), type of video graphic card/driver (nVidia, Intel, ...), amount of RAM.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The make and model of your laptop might be useful too.
      "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
      "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

First, it would be helpful if you tell us what version of Kubuntu you are attempting to install, and whether it's 32- or 64-bit.
        Second, what hardware does your laptop have - type of HD (IDE, PATA, SATA, ...), type of video graphic card/driver (nVidia, Intel, ...), amount of RAM.
        It's a 64-bit Sony VAIO with a HD from Toshiba, I think, I don't know what the acronyms in the parenthesis mean, nVidia graphics *not sure about its model, but I think it is 9300*, with 3GB of SDRAM.

Apart from that, it has a built-in: microphone, webcam, a few softkeys, a switch to turn off the graphics card, typical inputs for a laptop *ie: USB, Ethernet, external speakers, etc*, and DVD/CD drive.

I'm fairly certain hardware properties have nothing to do with this as Vista functioned perfectly fine, for Vista, on my computer. I'm also assured that this is a 64-bit laptop and installed the according form of Kubuntu with its CD image downloaded directly from its website and made into a disc.

Comment

As one of my old bosses used to say, "without knowing how to read or write...", I looked at your error message. It seemed fine to me except for the line that said
          I don't have a Sony laptop. What's a sonypi and what's it supposed to do?

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
            As one of my old bosses used to say, "without knowing how to read or write...", I looked at your error message. It seemed fine to me except for the line that said
            I don't have a Sony laptop. What's a sonypi and what's it supposed to do?
            Well, had I known what it was, I probably wouldn't be asking any questions. Thanks for being clever, though, but I've already said it does boot, just not after the first couple. Had the "FATAL" message been the problem, it would never have booted in the first place. Of course, I naturally assumed as you did during the first instance.

If I were to equate this with anything I've seen in Windows, I'd say "blue screen of death", but even that never totally collapsed that OS. I've even tried booting Recovery from the onset and that only offers lots of scrolling and text with little result.

Anyway, it is now totally reinstalled and configured and I'm counting back down to the boot when it will fail. I beg of you, anyone, to see what I must be doing wrong. They'll have to send me to the looney bin if this keeps up. ¬_¬ I've actually been losing sleep over this, daft as it may sound.

Comment

Originally posted by restlesslylistless
              I'm fairly certain hardware properties have nothing to do with this as Vista functioned perfectly fine...
              Not a good assumption. That you had no problems in Vista doesn't mean that you don't have a hardware/driver conflict in Linux.

A module (boot time) is being referenced and not found. Take a look in your /etc/modules file and see if this module is referenced. Open a console and type:
              Code:
              cat /etc/modules
              If there is a line entry for sonypi then consider commenting it out and rebooting to see if the error no longer appears. You'll have to edit the file as root.
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'll leave your first two questions to the experts. As to the third (your "nitpick" as it were), try using Krusader as a file manager. After you've used it a while, you might even try Root Mode Krusader, but be VERY careful about making changes in root mode.

Comment

Doing a google for sonypi revealed this

http://www.popies.net/sonypi/2.6-sonypi.txt

The only logical thing I can say is to suggest you follow snowhogs advice and comment out the reference to the module.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                    Originally posted by restlesslylistless
                    I'm fairly certain hardware properties have nothing to do with this as Vista functioned perfectly fine...
                    Not a good assumption. That you had no problems in Vista doesn't mean that you don't have a hardware/driver conflict in Linux.

A module (boot time) is being referenced and not found. Take a look in your /etc/modules file and see if this module is referenced. Open a console and type:
                    Code:
                    cat /etc/modules
                    If there is a line entry for sonypi then consider commenting it out and rebooting to see if the error no longer appears. You'll have to edit the file as root.
                    Originally posted by The Liquidator
                    Doing a google for sonypi revealed this

http://www.popies.net/sonypi/2.6-sonypi.txt

The only logical thing I can say is to suggest you follow snowhogs advice and comment out the reference to the module.

Ian
                    Well, I've done the code and the module doesn't have sonypi as an entry. Besides, as I mentioned before, I initially assumed it to be the dilemma, however, it does boot the first two times rather well.

I've done some searching on my own and found that Linux apparently does crash like this for some and they've started to ask about simply backing up all system settings, downloaded upgrades and packages, documents, etc. I've come across two likely programs to use for myself, but I'm not quite sure which of the two would be easier for a Windows bloke like myself to use.

They are: APTonCD and remastersys.

Also, is there anything I could do for the speaker dilemma?

Comment

Also, is there anything I could do for the speaker dilemma?
                      Have you checked your settings in KMix?? For laptops with stereo speakers you should have to FRONT level volumes and a PCM volume level. Make sure none of those are muted and try adjusting the levels on them.
                      &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

Yes, I'm sorry for not mentioning this before, but I searched for existing topics on this matter and ran both alsamixer in terminal and have adjusted KMix. KMix has accounted for the internal speaker problem and all the players are functioning normally. *Firefox's streaming video tends to muck up, but this is probably temporary.* However, nothing I've done is a solution to why my computer no longer notices that external speakers are hooked into it. *And yes, I have tripled checked to make sure it is not hooked into the wrong input.*

Anyway, while I would also like to solve the major problem of the third boot total system failure, I believe it would be in the best interest of my computer that I use something to back it all up. In that light, should I be using APTonCD or remastersys?

In summary, I have two major dilemmas with Intrepid Ibex Kubuntu and they are as follows:
                        1) Figuring out what is going wrong with Kubuntu that makes it crash during a third boot.
                        2) How to make external PC speakers a noticeable attachment to my laptop.

Then, there are just the minor issues:
                        -APTonCD or remastersys
                        -Suitable Dolphin substitute that works closer to a Windows file manager in that it allows you to freely rearrange files and folders, which both Konquerer and Dolphin do not. *Note on that: I've searched for Krusader and it only displays images of opened windows in "detail" format. Does it have icon, thumbnail, or some other sort of format as well? Does it allow for manual organisation?*
                        -Language bar *I've tried using the command line process detailed elsewhere in another topic thread, but some of the code, my terminal doesn't accept.*

Comment

Well, sixth reinstall, but I've still my wits about me. And luck have it, I pulled off a third boot. However, the solution behind it was to not download anything on my own. Totally dependent on what the computer tells me it wants me to download for it.

Plus I have my external speakers working! The trade was that I should lose my internal speakers for good, but I had wanted the sole use of my external speakers anyway so that's a problem I can live with.

Unfortunately, xine drivers that Amarok and Banshee use don't work anymore. Is there something to be done about that?

Still have yet to find a suitable Dolphin substitute and Krusader wasn't so helpful on reinstalls no. 4 and 5 and since I'm not getting the automatic go ahead from my computer, reinstall 6 only has Dolphin.

Astoundingly, the language bar did work for reinstall 5, but a window kept appearing to ask how it wanted me to run scim when it was already running. Anyone know what that's about?

I hope you lot haven't given up on me just yet.

Comment

Unfortunately, xine drivers that Amarok and Banshee use don't work anymore. Is there something to be done about that?
                            Check your configuration in Amarok and Banshee, make sure you have the correct engine selected.

Still have yet to find a suitable Dolphin substitute and Krusader wasn't so helpful on reinstalls no. 4 and 5 and since I'm not getting the automatic go ahead from my computer, reinstall 6 only has Dolphin.
                            I'm not sure what you need a replacement for? You said something about freely moving files around. What do you mean?
                            Like within the same sub-folder, or moving from one folder to another?
                            &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

Originally posted by CVPunk
                              Check your configuration in Amarok and Banshee, make sure you have the correct engine selected.

I'm not sure what you need a replacement for? You said something about freely moving files around. What do you mean?
                              Like within the same sub-folder, or moving from one folder to another?
                              Alright, well, Amarok's working now thanks to that advice. Thank you very much. The driver was set on xine, but was reading oss apparently.

Banshee, unfortunately, doesn't run anything and I'm not quite sure how to affect drivers as its Configure Banshee isn't like Amarok's.

In regards to the file manager aspect, yes, the ability in Windows OS to freely reorder or manually reorder files and folders within a sub-folder. Dolphin allows for only set forms of arrangement and I'm not in a mood to rename files with numbers into a suitable order.

Minor dilemmas, those are. Presently, I'm working to to find programs that will work with my internal microphone and webcam. Also, it would seem a firewall is preventing the microphone from working for aMSN, but I don't know how to configure firewalls. I hadn't even known I had one. Does anyone have a suggestion for this?

PS: Just a note, I haven't any idea why, but kubuntu no longer destructs at the third boot.

Comment

Working...
                              X