This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE driving me nuts

Okay, I'm not a newbie but feel like one after a fresh install of 8.10 and the new beta KDE 4.2.

These widgets are driving me nut and the panel is all screwed up now after I tried to modify it.

The icons in the bottom panel on the right are now all on the left and you cannot move them back to the right.
    The windows in the panel when you minimize an application are gone, I found that to get them back I added the widget "task manager". Now when I minimize firefox it doesn't just vanish, there is a tab in the panel.

When you go to add a widget it is sooo confusing. There are 'yellow stars' then there are 'red minus' signs, sometimes if you put your mouse over the yellow star a minus sign appears or a plus sign appears. Sometimes the yellow star is active and there is a red minus sign as well. Then all the sudden I have added 3 or 4 of the same widgets. It would be so much easier if you could just do this:
    1) Unlock icons
    2) Drag them around
    3) Relock them

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks. I would like to get my panel back to the original configuration.

Regards,

LTP

Re: KDE driving me nuts

Mmmm .... I am not sure this is the best time to switch to KDE 4.2. But both in KDE 4.1 and 4.2, you need to first right-click on the panel, and do "Panel Settings", then you can drag the plasmoids from one side to the other in the panel. You can also add more Plasmoids, etc.

I think, ok, this is my take. There is a bit of getting used to something new, and a bit of KDE 4 still lacking polish and features. I think 4.2 will be great for what I played with the neon builds.

Comment

Do everything from the Task Manager bar. (If you have accidentally erased your Task Manager bar, add it again from the Plasma icon in the upper right corner of your desktop.) You can drag your Task Manager bar anywhere you want using the "handle" on the edge of the bar (which pops up unless you have the widgets locked).

Right-click on the Task Manger bar -> Panel Settings to configure it. You will notice the configuration bar will pop up. You can drag things around the Task Manger bar how you like them.

You can also add widgets to the Task Manager bar using the Add Widget option here. (This is different from the Add widgets in the Plasma icon in the upper right corner of your desktop, which adds widgets to your desktop, not to the task manager bar).

The original default task manager bar at installation included the "Applications Launcer (traditional menu based)" widget, the "Digital Clock" widget, the "Pager" widget, the "System Tray" widget, and the "Trashcan" widget. Add whichever ones you have accidentally removed then drag them around the Task Manager bar however you like.

Close the configuration bar when you are done by clicking on the red X.

Phew! Back to the original Task Manager bar.

You can now lock the widgets again, if you like.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
      and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

http://img231.imageshack.us/my.php?i...apshot1eb2.jpg
        http://img186.imageshack.us/my.php?i...apshot1jv3.jpg

Those are two screen shots showing a blue rectangle in the upper right of the screen.

I CANT get rid of it. Someone mentioned it might be video card issue. I am installing gnome right now and seeing what effect that has.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

LTP

Comment

You seem to have slightly nuked your plasma.

My suggestion:
          Boot into recovery mode, choose root and type startx.
          Now navigate to the .kde/share/config folder. (.kde is hidden you will have to activate "view hidden files" in Dolphin / Konqueror)

From there delete the following files:
          plasmarc
          plasma-appletsrc

Reboot and you will have your default settings back.

Don't forget that kde4.2 is still beta

That square could be a video card issue so maybe you could post the details of your card.
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
          X