This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED 8,10 upgrade issues

I just upgraded from 8.04 to 8.10. Previously I was running in 1280x1024. Since the upgrade, system settings > display shows me running in the same mode, but the size of everything on the screen is more like 800x600. Further, if I move the mouse to the left or bottom of the screen, it carries on going, Its almost like its displaying 1280x1024 on an 800x600 screen area if that makes any sense.

I can get into proper 1280x1024 by changing to any other screen res, then immediately changing back. The problem then becomes that most fonts are painfully small to read.

Would someone be kind enough to explain (in simple, windows gamer, terms) how to fix this?

Re: 8,10 upgrade issues

That happened to me, too. It was one of the first symptoms of a general system decline that ended with me switching back to Hardy about four days later. Hopefully, you will be more lucky.

When I opened Konqueror to /etc/X11/ I found that my xorg.conf file had been replaced by one in which the only available resolution was 640x480. If I recall correctly, though, my REAL xorg.conf file was sitting there renamed xorg.conf~. It was then a simple matter to change the name of xorg.conf to xorg.conf.bad and the name xorg.conf~ to xorg.conf (remember to use sudo). I don't have windoze so I can't say what will happen if you switch off Kubuntu and then restart, but I would be alert to the need to do this every time you start Intrepid.

Hopefully, someone else can suggest a better fix.

Comment

I ended up downloading the install CD, but I'm still having resolution images. My lastest problem is that, no matter what I put in xorg.conf, I only get 800x600. I'm really quite miffed as to why the devs decided to remove the necessary options from system settings > display. In 8.04, I just needed to change the display type to a 1280x1024 LCD and it worked fine.

Comment

What make/model of video card is in your system?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          What make/model of video card is in your system?
          Nvidia 7300GT AGP

Comment

See if the HOWTO: Install and use the Envy script installer for video drivers will help.

Comment

Thank you, Snowhog. That's fixed both my screen resolution AND horrid font size issues.

Comment

Glad it resolved your problem. Please return to your initial post in this thread an click the modify button and add SOLVED to the subject line.

Welcome to KFN.

Comment

Working...
                X