This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB bootdisc

all went well/created bootable flash drive....but when I try to use it all it does is try to install Kubuntu again, not actually boot. Am I missing something?

Re: USB bootdisc

Originally posted by h2kde

Am I missing something?
    Apparently so.

Did you see this?

Comment

Thanks for the link but too complicated for me...I just started this morning. All of the X buntu and other versions mention nothing of all that in their step by step process which was simple to follow. Maybe I'll do it over.

Comment

What is it you want? A live CD on a boot disk? In that case you are experiencing normal behaviour.
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Too complicated ... What, me, too complicated?
          (I'm hearing sounds bites from past girlfriends in my mind now.)
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

What I thought I was doing was loading the OS onto the flash drive so I could insert it and run Kubuntu w/o having ti install it on my HDD. I tried that first and it kept telling me to resize all partitions to a certian size. Going back, one partion had a checkmark so I thought that was the one to resize but I just could not figure it out. Maybe I'm trying to do something you can't do? It was a 2gig drive I was using

Comment

So, you after an installed version of kubuntu on a usb stick, a permanent installation you would boot from and adjust as you feel like (similar to having a system on a hard drive) or a live system akin to a live CD? If you want the former a 2GB stick is not big enough I'm afraid.

Let us know.

@ Qqmike

It can't be. Don't believe it for an instant
              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I didn't have a problem. I used Intrepid Ibex, which is installed on my USB stick (I am using an 8Gb, though, because I download files onto the stick).

The installation was painless, because it is automatically done from the Intrepid LiveCD as an option (unless you didn't see that option).

The USB stick boots up only on computers that allow a USB boot, of course.

The USB installation is a live CD, which means that kernel components cannot be update (which is a disadvantage). However, programs and settings can be installed and saved (even though there are some squawks (error message) about the apt database). Still, the progams install and work properly.

I run an entire portable system off my USB drive.

So, just try again. 2 Gb is the bare minimum. I got an Aptiva (OfficeDepot) USB drive 8 Gb for $19. Don't be such a cheapskate.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
                and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Working...
                X