This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making KDE look like OS X Leopard?

So i downloaded Kubuntu from the website, installed it and updated the system. Now for the hard part? I pretty much want the desktop environment to look and feel like OS X 10.5 Leopard. So pretty much have the main menu bar on top, quick launch dock at the bottom, and possibly the expose and dashboard effects set to the corners. Is all of this possible with Kubuntu? Ive seen screen shots of this. If someone can start with just changing the overall look of the OS that would be great. We can go from there and have we'll all have a "how-to" made for this topic. Thanks everyone!

beamz

Re: Making KDE look like OS X Leopard?

So you have 8.10 and managed to get a quick launcher working? I didn't know they had implemented this yet (under 8.04 no problem...). Please tell

As for OS X themes you want to check www.kde-look.org
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

hmmm...quick launcher? What exactly is this? Are there detailed instructions on that website to get the makeover done. As you can tell with that noob question up there! lol

beamz

Comment

Baghira was the theme back in the KDE3 days... doesn't look like it has been maintained for KDE4, but it gives you some idea as to what is possible...

http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=8692

Comment

yep, www.kde-look.org, I adjusted my previous post.

By quick launcher I meant this:
          quick launch dock at the bottom
          Unfortunately I do not have detailed instructions as I am only interested in the quick launcher
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

that is pretty cool...so i wont be able to get that one then? Im pretty sure i have the KDE 4.something! I would really like to get it looking like this:

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/index.p...to_show&ida=14

(Sorry i don't know how to make links)

beamz

Comment

Ohh no i was wondering if it was possible to have a quick launch dock like the mac OS. I don't have one myself just wondering if it was possible.

beamz

Comment

If you just want the dock....try avant window navigator

Comment

For some reason I assumed you had 8.10. If so, your chances equal 0 to get an OSX feel - all you can do is wait for further implementation of KDE4 stuff. If, however, you've got 8.04 with KDE3 it is a doddle.

Comment

First, move your panel to the top. Right click it and make sure it's unlocked. Then right click it again and click on Panel Settings. Simply drag it to the top.

Next, open up synaptic and search for cairo-dock. Install it and whatever is necessary. That gives you the dock at the bottom.

The last step is to find a desktop theme that matches OS X. Don't know if there is one so search the site that toad mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by bmir88
                      that is pretty cool...so i wont be able to get that one then? Im pretty sure i have the KDE 4.something! I would really like to get it looking like this:

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/index.p...to_show&ida=14

(Sorry i don't know how to make links)

beamz
                      From the screen shot, it seams to be the following .
                      1. this is KDE3 using Baghira as the window decoration theme
                      2. again in KDE3 System Settings->Desktop ->Behavor->"menu bar at top of screen" select mac os like
                      3. add applet for k launcher and the other stuff u see up top.
                      4. gonna need a mac icon theme so it looks like the right icons
                      5. superkaramba weather widget (there are like 100 of them so your gonna have to look for a 'mac' like one)
                      6. Kxdocker (there is no version of this for 8.04) try avant as sugested by vegittoss15
                      7. get your self compiz-fusion and set up the 'extras' that mac os does like expose and desktop zoom... be sure to
                      8. install the compiz configuration settings manager much more options..

hope that helps
                      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

For a quick launcher, I just put the extra icons i need on the panel. Have modified the quick access to point to a folder with links to applications i regularly use for quick access. Dunno if this was something like you were looking for though toad.

Comment

Nope, not really, but thanks nevertheless.

Comment

Search for "Bespin".

Comment

Working...
                            X