This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GUI tool for mounting

If you ever wonder how to mount stuff but were too afraid to delve into your /etc/fstab there is a working GUI mount tool out there (and in the repos). To install make sure you have all your repositories enabled. A quick

Code:
    sudo apt-get install mountmanager
    will take care of the install process.

Here a quote from Qqmike's very useful notes further down this thread:

Installed though Adept. Works OK, decent documentation. Parts of it, somewhat confusing.
    A Plus: Good tool for learning fstab mounting options (e.g., choose an option in English, then see how it appears in fstab).
    Another Plus: It does show you your partitions by UUID and some info about them.

But, once again, not for an average user. For example, it will set up mount points, re-write /etc/fstab, but it does not create those mount points for you
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Re: GUI tools for mounting

To clarify a bit: mount manager is only available in Intrepid. Pysdm is available in both Hardy and Intrepid.

Comment

More:

MountManager at the KDE-Apps.org > MountManager
      MountManager
      KDE System Tool

Description:
      What MountManager can:
      -Points options of mounting for different partitions
      -Shows all logical and physical disks
      -Descripes options and other settings of mounting
      -Restores last configurations of the system
      -Mounts images
      -Supports plugins
      -Creates udev rules
      -Mounts NFS and Samba shares

Pysdm at the sourceforge.net > PyGTK Storage Device Manager
      Features
      PyGTK graphical interface
      Management of fstab file
      Partition autodetection
      Automated configuration for new devices
      Filesystem-dependent options. ext2, ext3, fat, ntfs, reiserfs, swap and xfs supported now, more coming soon...
      Mounting management
      Hotpluging
      udev rules management
      Device naming
      Permission assignement
      internationalization and localization support
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Pysdm
        Installed through Adept OK, appeared on Kickoff menu OK, but nothing operational on the menu! Un-installed it.

MountManager
        Installed though Adept. Works OK, decent documentation. Parts of it, somewhat confusing.
        A Plus: Good tool for learning fstab mounting options (e.g., choose an option in English, then see how it appears in fstab).
        Another Plus: It does show you your partitions by UUID and some info about them.

But, once again, not for an average user. For example, it will set up mount points, re-write /etc/fstab, but it does not create those mount points for you--you must open a file mgr (Konqueror) as root and create them (e.g., New Folder, /media/disk-1, etc.).
        So, once again, kind of like the GRUB Editor--if you can use the mount manager, you don't really need it in the first place (i.e., you are smart enough not to need it)!

I fail to see what was wrong with Disk & Filesystems, which set permissions and mounted devices faster than you could click or type.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I installed it and it works fine, also you can mount images as well, like iso files.

Noel Vh
          ++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Comment

Not sure you want to go this route, but as is the case with Linux, you have choices, so you might want to review this:
            HowTo install KDE 3 into Intrepid (repost) It's an extensive post, and probably worth reading in its entirety. Many positive comments.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

@ noelvh
              "But, once again, not for an average user. For example, it will set up mount points, re-write /etc/fstab, but it does not create those mount points for you...'

"Works fine" -- well, that depends on the user. My fstab came with just two out of 9 partitions set up in it. Thus, no mount points, no nothin'. 8.04 Disk & Filesystems would create the mounts in it's setup menus if you ask.

@ Snowhog -- nope on KDE 3. Best to leave that behind.

Look, not a big deal. As it goes forgetaboutit.
              We know how to get it done. Was just curious if there was a quick-&-dirty GUI for it.

Thanks everyone.
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Take a look at mountmanager:
                User-friendly management of disks and partitions

The basic functionalities of MountManager are:
                - Mount and unmount partitions (ext3/2, ntfs, swap, fat, reiserfs, iso9660,
                udf, ...)
                - Show all logical and physical disks
                - Change config file /etc/fstab
                - Descriptions of options and other settings of mounting
                - Restoration system
                - Images mounting and unmounting (Nrg, Mdf , Ccd, Bin , etc)
                - Udev rules creation
                - Disk wizard
                - Etc...

Plugins are supported and there is good English and Russian documentations to help develop new plugins. .
                It's available in II (universe repository). I just installed it to take a look. It doesn't show in K Menu until after you fire it up from the CLI (mountmanager) or restart KDE. It then appears under Applications > System as Tool for mounting of partitions

Comment

That's the one we are looking at ... mountmanager ... toad's OP.
                  One thumb up, one thumb down so far.

Comment

Nice detective work, Qqmike Thanks for sharing! I haven't looked at it properly and pysdm wasn't working for me either. Should edit the first post...
                    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
                      That's the one we are looking at ... mountmanager ... toad's OP.
                      One thumb up, one thumb down so far.
                      :P I've got to do a better job of scanning the thread(s) before putting in my two-cents worth.

Comment

Re: GUI tool for mounting

Take it easy on yourself, Snowhog! I am continuously amazed at the amount of coherent and top quality posts by the "old hands" in this forum. I write much more rubbish than all of you combined because I don't seem to be able to read/take in at a glance what others are saying

Having said that, one more post like that from you and we'll kick you off

Comment

LOL. Never considered using an application other then xterm and nano for this. Don't really add drives often and that is probably why. If i start doing more hot-swapping I might have to look at it.

Comment

Same here, but when I stumbled across it I thought I'd share ('cos there'd been a lot of probs relating to mounting here recently).

Personally, I like vim

Comment

Working...
                            X