X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importing media into Banshee from network

I have a Windows XP machine with my music library in D:\MUSIC

I have managed to get file sharing across the LAN working between the XP machine and my Kubuntu 8.10 machine, to such a degree that the XP machine's music library is showing up okay under dolphin > network as a link named 'Music'.

If I navigate into that network folder and choose an artist's subfolder, then single-click on an mp3 file, it plays just fine in Amarok.

However what I would like to do, is import the entire library into Banshee. so far, I can't figure out how to do it, because Banshee only seems to give me options to import from local areas.

The nearest I think I got was to place a link to the 'Music' network folder, in Desktop.. Banshee was then able to show the *link* in the import window, but it was greyed out.

Is what I'm trying to do (import media from across the network, from an XP share) possible, or do I have to physically copy the entire library across the network, to the local Kubuntu filesystem first?

Re: Importing media into Banshee from network

from the sound of it banshee may not support smb folders.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Re: Importing media into Banshee from network

Ahh ok.. shame

could I somehow mount the remote folder, as a part of the local filesystem somehow..

if not I guess I'll just copy everything across. hope there's room (does banshee work similarly to itunes, in that if you do an import, you can end up with two full copies of all the files on the machine)

there's about 20 gigs of music on the XP machine and the kubuntu machine only has a 30 Gb disk, some of which is taken up by the OS.

[edit] tried pointing banshee at import > 'local file', then selecting the somewhat hidden option to type a filename. I typed smb://192.168.1.6/MUSIC and it's currently sitting there 'scanning for media'.. maybe it'll work

No, just sits doing that scanning forever I think.. on checking the XP machine, it's showing absolutely zero network activity and the disk which holds the music folder is totally silent, normally it does make some noise if it's being accessed.

I found this, which talks about using fuse, but tbh it's a bit beyond me:

http://www.nabble.com/Import-from-LAN-td19132982.html

Seems to be more of a gnome support page but maybe the fuse stuff is relevant?

I tried ditching banshee and having a go with amarok - figured if amarok could pull it over, then I could always tell banshee to import from amarok if wanted, later. No joy, amarok also did not want to add music from smb: link

I'm just trying to do a wholesale file & folder copy in dolphin now.

Comment

Working...
      X