This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing to Windows / Kubuntu 8.10 / KDE 4.1 / Dolphin / Samba

I am trying to share a Kubuntu 8.10 Desktop folder out onto a 192.168.1.* LAN populated by Windows XP machines, all running Windows simple file sharing successfully. The main router / gateway / DHCP server is on 192.168.1.1; the Kubuntu machine has been assigned 192.168.1.7 by DHCP.

I'm trying:

open dolphin
    right click on a folder (in my case /home/[account name]/Desktop/Samba)
    properties
    'share' tab

==> 'You need to be authorised to share files'

Button, 'Configure File Sharing...'

click it;
    a password request GUI window pops up, trying to issue the command:

Code:
    kcmshell4 fileshare
    enter the password;

The 'Configure File Sharing...' button then greys out for a short while, but then comes back to focus; nothing more. No sharing options appear. Properties > Share tab looks exactly the same as before, still stating, "You need to be authorised to share files".

on searching the web, others speak of various options that should appear (the searches I've done so far took me to generic kde sites though, nothing kubuntu 8.10 - specific.

Neither /home/[account name]/Desktop/Samba nor the Kubuntu machine as a whole, is visible anywhere in Windows Network Places on any of the XP machines.

I've explicitly installed samba from the repos. I've tried both restarting samba, and restarting the entire machine, after reconfigurations. The Kubuntu machine can see a Windows shared folder on one of the XP machines okay. If I go into K > System Settings > Sharing, there is an option for a Windows username and password but not much else. As far as I know, the existing Windows filesharing setup doesn't use any authentication. The Windows workgroup name is 'WORKGROUP'.

any suggestions as to what to read / try ?

Re: Sharing to Windows / Kubuntu 8.10 / KDE 4.1 / Dolphin / Samba

Weird, the same thing you justs described works fine here! (I get the actual window with shares), and I can add/remove shares.

do you have the following packages installed?

kdenetwork-filesharing
    libsmbclient
    samba
    samba-common
    smbclient

You can also try to share from konqueror

One more idea is to launch Konqueror or Dolphin from the command line and try to share, see if there is any useful output.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
      Weird, the same thing you justs described works fine here! (I get the actual window with shares), and I can add/remove shares....
      I get to that point, but then it crashes every time I try to add a folder to share...

Edit: Got a little further by, in Configure File Sharing -> Allowed Users... Allow all users to share folders (hopefully nothing wrong with that on a home network).

Then on Properties, Share tab, I have the Share and Not Shared radio buttons... but it still doesnt work.

"An error occurred while trying to share folder '/home/kjjjjshab/Public'. Make sure that the Perl script 'fileshareset' is set suid root."

Comment

Originally posted by kjjjjshab
        "An error occurred while trying to share folder '/home/kjjjjshab/Public'. Make sure that the Perl script 'fileshareset' is set suid root."
        It is doubtful that your problem is actually the suid bit on the fileshareset script HOWEVER; it never hurts to check.
        Sometimes the error messages are "actually correct".
        Of course usually they have nothing to do with the actual problem.

Anyway, to remove any doubt type this into a shell

Code:
        ls -l /usr/bin/fileshareset
        You should see this

Code:
        -rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 11214 2008-10-06 08:12 /usr/bin/fileshareset
        If the 4th character in the output is not an "s", the suid bit is not set.
        You can set it like this.

Code:
        sudo chmod u+s /usr/bin/fileshareset
        If the fileshareset is not owned by root then you have a completely messed up system since no one else would have the ability to write to the /usr/bin directory which means the root user would have had to "give away" ownership of the file.

If the fileshareset script is not there then you have a different problem since, based on what you've explained above, it should be (file system corruption [doubtful], a crazed rabbid gremlen randonmly deleting files on your hard drive [no comment])!

Comment

-rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 11214 2008-10-06 10:12 /usr/bin/fileshareset

So that looks good... since I am using the 4.1.3 GUI tools to set this up, I think that is the problem... I also have kde-nightly, so I gave it a try in there and it seems to now mostly work.

I cannot print yet from the windows machine (the printer is USB connected to kubuntu) and I cannot see the windows directory I shared, but I can see the kubuntu shared directory from windows (but I can't write to it, even though the permissions should allow it).

But anyway, that fileshareset appears to not be the problem. Thanks for the info though... that lesson could easily apply to other problems down the road.

Comment

Working...
          X