This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

capture screen image

Hello, sorry for being a total newbee... I have been using Gnome on Ubuntu for a while and recently switched to KDE (which I love). The only thing that I can't figure out is how to make the ALT-PrtSc (or PrtSc) functions capture anything. In Gnome if you press these you get a file with either the active window or desktop respectively. Google searches seem to suggest that this should happen in KDE too but on 8.10 it doesn't (for me). I tried running Ksnapshot and then tried installing Kgrab but all these offered were a rather clunky way to capture the entire desktop to a file which I then had to load into GIMP to crop to the window I wanted.

This is driving me mad because I am sure there must be a way to configure the keyboard shortcut to just make a file. Can someone help? Is there a package I can install that will and the Gnome alt-prtsc/prtsc functionality to KDE?

Thanks for your help

Ed

Re: capture screen image

KMenu>Graphics>Ksnapshot

You get to choose whether you want the full screen, or only the window that you hover the cursor over. You can also set a delay if you need it.

Comment

Originally posted by oakeley
      I can't figure out is how to make the ALT-PrtSc (or PrtSc) functions capture anything.
      What version of Kubuntu are you now running? Makes a difference. If Intrepid Ibex 8.10, then short-cut keys (appear, so far) to not function. You can specify them in the applications short-cut, but they don't work. Maybe in KDE 4.2.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

OK thanks. This is kind of a pain. I am running 4.1.3 (8.10) so I guess the "it is broken" answers my question. I hope any developers out there will try to get this bug fixed for a future release. Do the KDE releases appear in the package manager or do I need to wait until 9.04 for this fix?

For now I guess I use the Klunky Ksnapshot for this - thanks for explaining how to grab a window. That helps a quite a lot.

Ed

Comment

Working...
        X