This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rewrite MBR on fakeraid config

Hello. I dont know how to rewrite the mbr from LIVE CD with grub-install command (installed xp after kubuntu so xp rewrote my mbr). i have raid0 with intel matrix with two sata disks, separate /boot partition, primary with active flag
    .My kubuntu version is 8.10 . I tried to mount /dev/mapper/isw_xxxxxx_raid0 and grub-install (raid device itself, not partition), but it says that this is not a valid bios device or sth, similar. Can anybody help, please. Or i will have to reinstall the whole Kubuntu OS.

Edit: After some researching i found super grub disk, which successfuly rewrote my mbr so i can now boot as i want. But, i would still like to know how i can do this manually.

Re: rewrite MBR on fakeraid config

Don't know about the RAID stuff.

otherwise, standard way:
    How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
    --- HOW To: Change the Default Operating System (Also: Changing the timeout, boot menu, and other tips) Reply #1

see there the geometry command for exploring your drives (toward the end of the how-to):
    grub> geometry (hd<Press the TAB key now>
    (from Live CD)

You do have to know/find out the drives in GRUB terms (hdx,y).

Probably telling you stuff you already know here ....

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Re: rewrite MBR on fakeraid config

thanks for the info, i will research further,

Comment

Working...
      X