This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems using myspace with Kubuntu

I posted about this about a year ago and it never got solved so I will try again. When I go to myspace after browsing through a few pages I lose connection to the internet. What I mean by lose connection is the internet stops responding for any website or just gets so slow that things time out. After waiting a few minutes it will eventually come back. I am using firefox and if I log onto windows on the same computer and use the same version of firefox I do not have this problem at all on windows. It's also happened when I am using other peoples internet connections so I don't think it's my ISP or wifi router. It's been happening for at least a year on 3 separate clean installs Feisty, Gutsy and Hardy. What is going on here?

Re: Problems using myspace with Kubuntu

My personal belief is that it's either a Flash or Java problem, either or both, that are being utilized on myspace that isn't fully compatible with Linux. The fact that you don't experience the problem while running Windoze would support that belief.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      My personal belief is that it's either a Flash or Java problem, either or both, that are being utilized on myspace that isn't fully compatible with Linux. The fact that you don't experience the problem while running Windoze would support that belief.
      i would have to agree with snowhog try adding both flash and java,my gf has been using myspace on her kubuntu computer long time , many versions. of course you need to have support for both flash and java for it to work correctly.

this is done one of two ways
      1. by adding the kubuntu-restricted-extras package(this also adds a lot of other stuff such as mp3 support and some other "non-free" software)
      type in konsole
      Code:
       sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras
      OR

2. install them directly
      type in konsole
      for flash
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
      for java
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install sun-java6-plugin

Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I already had flash and java but I did what you suggested just to try it and still no change. Another possible clue is when the problem is happening instead of waiting several minutes for the problem to clear up if I unplug the power to my modem and plug it back in to restart it that fixes the problem immediately. Until I go to myspace again. At first I thought because of that it might be something with my internet provider or router but I don't think so because it happens on other internet provides too,

Comment

do u get the same issue w/ konqurer , or other browsers, could it just be firefox. we use firefox here,works just fine for myspace on mine.

Comment

Yes it does the same with Konqueror.

Comment

got me as i said mine works just fine.. is there any special page on myspace that you view , to cause this or just going to myspace.com , if u have a url post it i will try w/ my machine could be something on that page.

Comment

Working...
              X