X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 8.10 can't find serial dialup modem

Hi all,

I'm a relative Linux newbie and I've been using Kubuntu 7.10 for a while with no problems. Now that I've installed Kubuntu 8.10 I cannot get access to the internet via my serial port connected USR 56K modem.

I searched these forums for help and did the following:

-Edited wvdial.conf file
    -Ran wvdialconf in Terminal mode - which found my modem on /dev/ttys0 and the initiating string
    -Ran pppconfig in Terminal mode - which configured my modem

Then the help file said to run kppp to configure the dialer (which I easily did with my previous version of Kubuntu). Major problem - kppp is not included in the Kubuntu 8.10 installation.

What am I supposed to use in place of kppp to set up a dialer for internet access? Knetworksetup (or whatever it is called) only finds my eth0 connection and does not allow me to edit anything to force it to look for a serial port connection. Am I the only one still having to use dialup internet access?

Re: Kubuntu 8.10 can't find serial dialup modem

I have 8.10 and kppp is both available and installed. Have you got Synaptic and can you search for it? What happens if you just connect to the internet, open a terminal and input:
    sudo apt-get install kppp
    ?
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Thanks for trying to help! I'm using Xandros for internet access to post this.

Here is the info:

dos50@Giga-Kubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install kppp
      [sudo] password for dos50:
      Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree
      Reading state information... Done
      E: Couldn't find package kppp

I've also done file searches trying to find kppp but found nothing. Also, I should have mentioned that I purchased my copy of Kubuntu 8.10 on ebay. With a dialup connection downloading Kubuntu is not really a viable option for me.

Comment

1) Have you enabled all the available repositories?

2) Have you got synaptic? kppp appears under Networking
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Here the download site for the Lenny package of kppp:

http://packages.debian.org/lenny/kppp

Comment

Here is the where to get an Intrepid download (32 bit and 64 bit) http://linuxappfinder.com/package/kppp

Comment

Aha -- yep, better to download the package compiled for *buntu!

Copy it onto your 8.10 system, up in /tmp or somewhere out of the user's folder, then right-click it and "Open with Gdebi Installer" or however that works now to install a debian package.

Comment

1) Have you enabled all the available repositories?

2) Have you got synaptic? kppp appears under Networking
                1. Since I can't get online with Kubuntu the only repository I have access to is the installation CD.

2. I did a file search for synaptic and I don't have it. Under Networking there is no kppp.

Here is the where to get an Intrepid download (32 bit and 64 bit) http://linuxappfinder.com/package/kppp
                I will try to download the kppp package using Xandros.

Thanks for these suggestions!

Comment

Success!!! I was able to download and install the kppp package, and I'm now using Konqueror to type this message. It is puzzling to me why kppp was not installed from my installation CD if it is supposed to be a part of the installation.

Thanks guys for all your help!

Comment

Cool!

The Live CD, being limited to 700MB in size, includes the most commonly wanted/needed packages, as best the developers can estimate. They can't include everything in the repos, by a long shot. I'm afraid users of dialup Internet access are becoming a scarce breed, so kppp was sacrificed, apparently. But it's good that you were able to work around the absence of it on the Live CD.

Comment

Working...
                    X