This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up Python

I Have Kubuntu and want to start programming with python. Is Python an o.s. or just a program

Re: Setting up Python

You can install the "python" package. Then make a text file that says "#!/usr/bin/python" at the top.
    cd to the folder of your text file, and chmod +x it so that you can execute it. Then ./filename.py to start it.

Comment

Originally posted by lethal666
      I Have Kubuntu and want to start programming with python. Is Python an o.s. or just a program
      afaik python is a core part of most linux distributions, it is installed by default and should work out-of-box for kubuntu.

Comment

Python is a programming language that is used for writing various types of programs, Kubuntu improvements, Games, Texteditors, etc... Whatever you can think of writing . 8)

Source code is saved as textfiles with .py on end of name... like myprogram.py .
        which is why it's also called a scripting language. Easy to learn, easy to use, and best of all Free. 8)

Comment

Hi d41,
          Being very new can you simplify please...
          I made the text file "#!/usr/bin/python"

Then I got lost it, what do you mean by - cd to the folder of your text file, and chmod+x so that you can execute it. Then ./filename.py to start it?

Keen to learn...

Comment

lethal666 check out the programming forum at Ubuntu. They can tell you everything you need to know about programming in Python http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay...4d99a1e6&f=310

Comment

Working...
            X