X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Remnants from a previous installation

Aha!

When you say "seems to have been made by Windows", what do you mean? Do you mean it is Windows, offering the Windows "recovery" boot menu, or do you mean it is a third party boot menu program installed under Windows?

And, I don't understand how the Kubuntu item on the Grub boot menu is linked to this program? Is the Windows menu on hd(0,5)?

It still appears to be some kind of "chainloading" situation.

One idea would be to install Grub on hd(0,5) -- maybe it would write over the Windows bootloader there. But, that is not a risk-free idea -- you could end up with nothing booting. :P

Comment

Hi,

It is a boot menu which offers me a possibility to boot Kubuntu or Windows. I can press F8 to get more info about other Windows-problems or something similar. Pressing F8 however does not work.

It has to be a menu which has settled itself on my PC via the LiveCD. I definitely recognize the menu but I do not know exactly how it got there. It has to be something with using the LiveCD and being able to boot or Kubuntu or to boot Windows. Probably it is making the machine dual-boot but without installing Kubuntu.

Ah jee, my brains..............

I do not know where this windows menu is.

Would it be any help if I try to show you the the lines Grub generates (after pressing the e).

We are so close !!!!!!??

Remmelt

Comment

Weird!

This does not sound like anything installed by Kubuntu -- it sound very much like something Windows puts up after a crash. But it could also be some third party boot program.

You said when you choose XP, you get the boot menu, and you said F8 doesn't work -- so, how exactly do you boot XP?

Comment

Hi,

I boot XP from the first bootmenu. That's the menu defined in menu.lst !

Remmelt

Comment

Forgive me if I'm forgetting something, but did you remove the "*" boot flags from the partitions where they were set? If not, try that (use GParted), and let's see if anything changes.

Comment

I have already done that. Did not solve it.

I was just using the Supergrub disk. I think, if I interpreted it correctly that I have two Grub files in my system. One on the large HDD (hd0,0) and one on the small HDD (the 6 GB one). Darn, that is not how it should be.

Remmelt

Comment

Yep, I thought that was the case. I'm not sure exactly how to remove a Grub instance, when you have two of them -- I don't ever remember anyone else ever having two of them, to be honest. Look at Qqmike's Grub How-To and maybe the secret is in there somewhere, or else maybe the SGD has a menu item to nuke it.

Comment

it sounds to me like the first 'boot menu' you are seeing is the xp boot screen, and the second is the grub boot menu. I could be wrong, but if this is the case, then you should be able to go into your menu.lst file, and remove the windows boot option, set your default operating system to Kubuntu, and set the time to 0, or 1, or some such low #...that way, the system will boot like this:

1) present the windows boot prompt, where you can select XP or Linux...
                  1a) if you select Windows, it will boot to XP
                  1b) if you select Kubuntu, it will go to the grub bootloader and continue to boot Kubuntu.

If you do this, make sure you back up your menu.lst file...

mm0

P.S. please forgive me if this has been tried...I didn't read through this entire thread...also...if this works, you should be able to remove the XP boot loader, but I couldn't tell you how, not sure...
                  Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Hi,

Noop.

The first menu is the GRUB-one, listing the possibilities stated in menu.lst.
                    The second menu, I know now, is definitely an XP-thing (today I accidentically saw it on my work-laptop).

So I probably need tot get into Windows-stuff, right ? Any tips for that ?

Thanks again,

Remmelt

Comment

I quit dual booting Windows over a year ago, and have been using a VMware Player VM to run Win XP. I guess it depends on what is on that 6GB drive. If it is data, back it up somewhere else, then use GParted and delete the partition, and "apply". That will put an end to the problem. Then you can make a new partition, format it as you wish, and put your data back on.

If it is a bootable Windows installation .... maybe you want to look at this:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3095339.0

Comment

Hi,

I also thought of temporarily moving the data and re-format the 6GB partition.

I'll let you know what will happen. Maybe I'll never get back on the net again

Thanks for you assistance.

Remmelt

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Well...........
                            Formatted the partition (used Windows for that) and the result was ..............

nothing. Problem still there.

I started thinking again. Why o why did we focus on that partition ? It does not boot from that, there's no OS there. Who told me to do that

Any tips how I can change a Windows boot menu ??

Remmelt

Comment

Originally posted by Remmelt

Formatted the partition
                              Not sufficient to overwrite the MBR!

If you're going to use DOS or Windows, you need to FDISK it.

Code:
                              FDISK C:
                              and "Delete" the partition.

Comment

Well, I used Gparted this time. First I deleted the partition and then formatted it (Fat 32). And the reboot !!!!!! And there was someting different ! But, sadly the only difference is that pushing F8 worked. But still I see2 menus.

Hmm, now what ? Any Windows-tips here ?

Remmelt

Comment

Working...
                                X