This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compiz issues

Well, Compiz has now decided to stop working. I was playing around with the settings and may have enabled a few too many causing my screen to freeze. After a reboot, Compiz completely ceases to function. It is still enabled as the window manager and the selected settings are still enabled. What happened? Do I need to reinstall Compiz? Or is it just my video card acting up again. Its too bad kubunu seems to hate my video card, because its absolutely beautiful when it works.

Re: Compiz issues

You can regain control of your window manager by pressing Alt+F2 and typing kwin --replace
    This will make kwin the default WM. That will at least allow you to have a functioning desktop allowing you time to figure out what you did and correct it.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Its too bad kubunu seems to hate my video card, because its absolutely beautiful when it works.
      I don't think kubuntu hates your card, unless it is something really exotic.

I rather think that compiz just doesn't like kde. It was made for gnome.

So, what card are you using and which flavor of kubuntu "hates" it?
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Im using an ATI mobility radeon X1400 video card and KDE 4.1. Ive read in a few places that kubuntu has issues with ati cards. Pretty much all the issues Ive had with kubuntu since I started using it a few weeks ago have been video related.

Comment

I dont know if this will help you all diagnose my problem, but neither compiz or kwin will display any special graphics. All the windows still work properly, they just lack any of the effects from these window managers.

Comment

Dave, did you try installing EnvyNG and then using that to install a video driver for that ATI card? I confess my first experience with an ATI card was so bad that I went out and bought an Nvidia card and have never gone back, but folks claim that the ATI cards work OK with the proprietary driver. Try this, in your Konsole:

Code:
            sudo apt-get install envyng-qt
            then after it installs

Code:
            sudo envyng -t
            and choose the menu item to install the ATI driver.

I don't know how you set your resolution, but if it comes up correct, maybe you won't have to.

Then try
            Code:
            glxgears
            in the Konsole and let's see if it is running glx. You gotta have that before Compiz will play.

Comment

Working...
            X