This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing files between 2 Kubuntu machines

I have 2 computers both with Hardy. Both are connected to the same router and I want to be able to move files from one to the other. I have been searching here and on google and reading and trying different things but haven't figured out how to do it. The articles I have read don't really give the complete newbie version of how to do it. How can I do this or does anyone know of a good article on how to do it?

Re: Sharing files between 2 Kubuntu machines

See How to share files and folders in Ubuntu
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

That article is similar to some that I have tried. When I right click on the folder it does not look like that or give those options that are in the article. When I right click I can go to sharing and select boxes to share the file but when I hit ok nothing happens. If I go back the boxes are unchecked like I never did anything.

Comment

Okay, then how about How to set up NFS and How to Share Files in a local network with Ubuntu Linux?

Comment

I like where that one is going with the step by step but when I get to this step

sudo mount ernie:/media/music /var/music
          It's using "ernie" as the machine I am mounting but what do I place instead of "ernie" Is it the IP of the machine the name the user or some kind of combination?

Comment

It's the name you gave your machine when you installed Kubuntu. Easy to know what that is. Just open a console. The name after the @ is the machine name. Mine:
            paul@laptop:~$
            User=paul
            Machine Name=laptop

Comment

Originally posted by heylookitsmewow
              I have 2 computers both with Hardy. Both are connected to the same router and I want to be able to move files from one to the other. I have been searching here and on google and reading and trying different things but haven't figured out how to do it. The articles I have read don't really give the complete newbie version of how to do it. How can I do this or does anyone know of a good article on how to do it?
              All those articles seems to be quite complicated, I think I have a much simpler way:

1. do the following on both computers
              Code:
              sudo apt-get install openssh-server
              2. if the other computer IP is 11.22.33.44, just type the following in the konqueror and you will be able to access the other computer:
              Code:
              sftp://11.22.33.44/
              when the dialog comes, just type user name and password in the other computer, you don't need to share anything because everything is shared.

Really simple, isn't it? All you need to know is the IP address.

Comment

[SOLVED] Sharing files between 2 Kubuntu machines

Holy wow pansz that was so easy and it worked perfectly. Thank you both for the help.

Comment

I new there was a simpler way. Thanks pansz for the info.

Comment

Working...
                  X