This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best file system to use for kubuntu?

Doing some reading I just discovered that you can use ntfs as the file system for ubuntu and was just wondering what the experts think would be the best file system to use for ubuntu.
    I definately want a journaling file system so do you think I should stick to the familiar ntfs that I'm used to, or does ext3 have specific advantages?
    Which is faster? Which is less susceptable to data loss.
    I'll be installing on a multi-Terrabyte system so speed is definately a big issue with me, but I don't want to lose data since I can't backup more than 500GB untill I get more backup drives.

Re: best file system to use for kubuntu?

You can't install k/ubuntu on a NTFS drive ,
    NTFS (NT File System) is a propritary filesystem used by Microsoft Windows,
    however, you can read & write to ntfs partitions in ubutnu using the ntfs-3g driver
    considering this i would guess that ubuntu works faster with ext3 because
    it is the default file system.......

have you considered one of the other supported file systems ?
    try googling:_
    JFS, ReiserFS and XFS -- btw. all three are journaling file systems

and see what suits you best

Comment

Good points. Let me just add that in my experience, and to make a long story short, ext3 is best for the root directory and the home directory (it is the most well known and widely used native filesystem in Linux), and xfs is great for large "data" partitions where you may want to put many large files (like DVD isos, music files, etc).

Comment

ext3 "a journaled file system" - ext3
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Attention: ubuntu is only able to read/write ntfs partitions *without* journal support.

So if you *do* want journal support, Linux native partition is a must.

Comment

I think these benchmarks are a lot in line with what I was saying (just found them)

http://www.jejik.com/articles/2008/0...aid_1/#results

Comment

Re: best file system to use for kubuntu? (answered)

Thanks for all the answers guys. The page with the benchmarks was especially helpful. It answered a question I had about default block size as well.
              Looks like I'll be going with ext3 for the operating system files, and xfs for the data storage since most of it is .iso's and xfs has a definate performance advantage on larger files.
              Now I just have to learn the partition and format utilities for the xfs array once I get kubuntu all installed. Shouldn't be too hard.
              Thanks again for the info everybody.

Comment

Sure, our pleasure!  Make sure you use a graphical tool for partitioning, like gparted or qtparted. It'll make your life 100 times easier.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by pansz
                  Attention: ubuntu is only able to read/write ntfs partitions *without* journal support.
                  Further than that, writing is very problematic.

Originally posted by lmilano
                  Sure, our pleasure! Make sure you use a graphical tool for partitioning, like gparted or qtparted. It'll make your life 100 times easier.

Cheers!
                  Qtparted is broken at my system!
                  Gparted is OK, but from inside Kubuntu, it can't see and handle, a lot of things.

I suggest booting from gparted live cd http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php, or better from parted magic (if you want more tools at this time) http://partedmagic.com/index.php?opt...ions&Itemid=60

For filesystems:
                  Take a look also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/mountlinux

Greets!!!
                  8)

Speak "Friend" and enter, or...

Comment

ext3 is your best general-purpose choice. Reiserfs was once a great choice, but it has had no continuing support or maintenance for over a year and is not recommended by any major Linux distro, at this point. XFS is generally considered good for data files that are fairly "static" -- like for server storage. I set up Kubuntu on an XFS filesystem about a year ago (there's a post somewhere in the "How Tos"), but it began exhibiting flaky behavior after about 6 months, with respect to a large Virtual Machine, and last June I re-installed on a JFS filesystem. So, I would not advise XFS for the OS itself, based on my experience, and also based on the advice here:

http://sidux.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-1336.html

I've been running both my Linux systems on JFS filesystems for about 6 months now, and they appear to be holding up just fine. On my desktop system, I still have a couple of large data partitions with XFS filesystems, and they're fine too -- but that stuff (videos and music) doesn't change much.

Also, if you're contemplating installation on a SSD, you need to consider the limited write-cycle of flash memory, and choose ext2, or else ext3 with special extended "commit" times, and journal log mount locations to reduce the number of background writes to the media.

Comment

Working...
                    X