This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Display issues - nvidia?

OK, installed 8.10 last week. Naturally my Windows kernel was corrupted (dual-booting with XP). Not too worried, it's just silly is all.
    The problem - I boot into Kubutnu, everything looks happy, I can sign in, but once I do, my screen does weird things, and by weird things I mean it is black with grey boxes where a window is (this might be some offshoot of the "white screen of death" but I can't seem to fix it by editing my xorg.conf file...). There is no detail, and I can't read anything, even if I try and select all. Interestingly enough I can see my mouse, but that's it.

I'm running an nvidia GeForce 8500 GX vid card, with a Hanns G 17" widescreen monitor; motherboard is an ABIT AB9 Pro. I had issues with the display in Windows, but nothing like this and once the driver was installed everything was fine.

What I've done: I did install some packages - sadly I did not write them down and I don't know how to revert to earlier settings. Is there a way to do this from the /root command line?

Re: Display issues - nvidia?

how far do you get into uploading does it get past the KDE part.

Comment

I can select kubuntu from the GRUB menu, and I'm taken to the sign-in form. I input my password and then it begins to load. The loading screen comes up but when it gets to the point that I would normally be at my desktop the screen goes white and then switches to black.

Comment

You can see what is installed by doing dpkg --get-selections

Pipe that into less ( dpkg --get-selections | less ) so you can page through it and hopefully you'll remember what you installed, and can the apt-get remove it.

-boothboy

Comment

You may be able to sort out the "black screen" business by re-installing the Nvidia driver. I would recommend doing it like this:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3098672.0

although the "black with gray boxes" part is very unusual, and may indicate problems with the hardware itself. That doesn't sound like a known software configuration or driver issue.

Comment

it is probably a hardware problem like your proccesor

Comment

My display is working much better with the 3.0 beta driver from Nvidia

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...64_180.06.html

I don't know how I found it and can't tell you where to get the 32 bit version, but it is pretty easy to install via command line - the full directions are on the web page.

I still have a problem with my screen going black if I turn on Desktop effects, if your installation is new, and does not have anything that needs to be saved, you can start over by deleting the .kde directory.

A easy way to work with files from the terminal is to use Midnight Commander

install it with:

sudo apt-get install mc

type in mc <enter>

Do not run it as root for this operation !

highlight the .kde directory and move (F6) it to something like /home/yourusername/.kde.bak
              when you log into Kde4 it will rebuild the default kde setup.

Be careful with mc, mc run as root will delete anything, do not use it as root unless you are sure you know what you are doing!

If rebuilding .kde doesn't fix it, you can move or copy /home/yourusername/.kde.bak to /home/yourusername/.kde the same way

Comment

I like the nvidia installer too

Very user friendly and directly from Nvidia..

ATI start moving some action towars linux

Comment

Working...
                X