This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: adept has error

You have to type things exactly if you want them to work.

You typed:
    cd/etc/apt
    You didn't put a space after the command [ cd ] and the path [ /etc/apt ]. Type the command correctly:
    Code:
    cd /etc/apt
    You have to include a space after cd.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

austin@wells-cp:~$ cd /etc/apt
      austin@wells-cp:/etc/apt$sudo cp sources.list sources.list_SAVED
      austin@wells-cp:/etc/apt$sudo vi sources.list
      austin@wells-cp:/etc/apt$ cat sources.list | grep '//us.'
      deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ intrepid main restricted
      deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ intrepid restricted main multiverse universe #Added by software-properties
      deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ intrepid-updates main restricted
      deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ intrepid-updates restricted main multiverse universe #Added by software-properties
      deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ intrepid universe
      deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ intrepid-updates universe
      deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ intrepid multiverse
      deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ intrepid-updates multiverse
      # deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ intrepid-backports main restricted universe multiverse
      # deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ intrepid-backports main restricted universe multiverse
      austin@wells-cp:/etc/apt$ sudo apt-get update
      E: Malformed line 48 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (dist)
      austin@wells-cp:/etc/apt$
      I am sorry I try to get it right.Just getting a little brain-freeze.the command lines are new to me.I do appreciate the help you are giving me.
      Mint-7 Gloria KDE                                                                                                        Mint-7 Gloria Gnome

Comment

Originally posted by SnowRider
        I am sorry I try to get it right.Just getting a little brain-freeze.the command lines are new to me.I do appreciate the help you are giving me.
        You're doing great! You edited the file from the CLI (Command Line Input) just fine. Good job. So there is still something that isn't quite right with the entry at line 48. Hmm. Let me take another look at it. I'll compare it to mine. Back to you shortly.

Comment

Nothing within your sources.list file is formatted incorrectly. Line 48 is the blank last line in the file (normal). I do notice that you still have the cdrom repository active, and this could be giving you the problem.

Open a console and again, type:
          Code:
          cd /etc/apt
          sudo vi sources.list
          Then press the i key and press the # key (shift+3) and the space bar. This will put a # and a space in front of deb cdrom: so you have this as the first line:
          # deb cdrom:[Kubuntu 8.10 _Intrepid Ibex_ - Release i386 (20081029.1)]/ intrepid main restricted
          Then press the esc key followed by :wq (colon+w+q) to write the change and exit vi. While in the console, rerun the update command:
          Code:
          sudo apt-get update

Comment

Still get error austin@wells-cp:~$ cd /etc/apt
            austin@wells-cp:/etc/apt$ sudo vi sources.list
            Mint-7 Gloria KDE                                                                                                        Mint-7 Gloria Gnome

Comment

“It is quite a three pipe problem, ..." :P

I'm attaching my sources.list file (as sources.txt). Save it to your /home directory. Open a console and change into the directory where you saved the file. Then type:
              Code:
              sudo cp sources.txt /etc/apt/sources.list
              sudo apt-get update
              I know that will work, as my sources.list file is fully functional.
              Attached Files

Comment

At the risk of sounding silly.How do I get this attached file?

Comment

Right-click the link and select Save Link As... Alternatively, you can just click on it and you will be asked what you want to do, and one of the options is to Save As.

Comment

/usr/share/doc/python-pkg-resources/pkg_resources.txt.gz
                    austin@wells-cp:~$ sudo cp sources.txt /etc/apt/sources.list
                    [sudo] password for austin:
                    cp: cannot stat `sources.txt': No such file or directory
                    austin@wells-cp:~$

Comment

Sorry, my bad. I'm to used to this. Just click on the attachment link (sources.txt) and click on Save As..
                      This will result in the file being saved to your /home folder (look at where it is going to be saved at).

Ignore the picture below.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Step-by-step:

1. Click on sources.txt
                        2. Click Save As...
                        3. Click the Home icon on the left. This will put you in your Home directory.
                        4. Click Save.
                        5. Open a console. You will be in your home directory.
                        6. Type ls -l sources.txt and you will see the file is there.
                        7. Type sudo cp sources.txt /etc/apt/sources.list
                        8. Type sudo apt-get update

Done.

Comment

austin@wells-cp:~$ sudo cp /usr/share/doc/python-pkg-resources/pkg_resources.txt.gz /etc/apt/sources.list
                          [sudo] password for austin:
                          austin@wells-cp:~$ sudo apt-get update
                          E: Type '' is not known on line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list
                          Don't know what Type " is.This is getting annoying.I am done for the night...off to the cottage for a few days.A little R&R and time to think.Good-luck to all.

Comment

austin@wells-cp:~$ sudo cp /usr/share/doc/python-pkg-resources/pkg_resources.txt.gz /etc/apt/sources.list
                            This is wrong, and has resulted your copying a zipped file called pkg_resources.txt.gz that is located in the directory /usr/share/doc/python-pkg-resources to /etc/apt and calling it sources.list.

Let's go over this again:

Step-by-step:

1. Click on sources.txt
                            2. Click Save As...
                            3. Click the Home icon on the left. This will put you in your Home directory.
                            4. Click Save.
                            5. Open a console.
                            6. Type cd to ensure you are in your home directory. (Type pwd and it should show /home/wells-cp)
                            7. Type ls -l sources.txt and you will see the file is there. If it isn't listed, STOP!
                            8. Assuming you do see the file, type sudo cp sources.txt /etc/apt/sources.list
                            9. Type sudo apt-get update
                            Done.

Comment

Working...
                            X