X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I like the OS but......

Hi,

It's probably better to uninstall it ? What's the best way to do it ? After that I'll reinstall it as I mentioned in my previous post.

Remmelt

Comment

@toad -- what the heck -- are the pubs still open in Munich, or are you not able to sleep tonight?

Comment

It's always beer-thirty somewhere.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Remmelt

It's probably better to uninstall it ?
          It does no harm to leave it alone. If you want the space for other purposes, you can use a GParted Live CD to re-partition the USB drive.

Comment

I know what's wrong, but it'll take some typing to explain.
            Here's my how-to that addresses the issues you are suspecting you have:

How To Make GRUB Thumb Drive
            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081748.0

How to install K/Ubuntu 7.04 to an external USB hard disk drive (HDD), Reply #1
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

You want Kubuntu on the external HDD because you don't want to mess with the XP MBR, right?
              Ans.: Yes.

So, you will boot your PC from the external HDD, right?

Thus, the menu.lst in Kubuntu on the external HDD must reference all OSs from the point of view of the external HDD at boot time, right?

Kubuntu (in menu.lst) will be on (hd0,?) at boot time when the PC boots from the external <<=== a KEY fact here.
              and
              XP will be on (hdx,y)
              where x > 0
              THUS -- you will be booting XP when it is on a non-first HD (from the external HDD)
              => you will need the map dance in XP's menu.lst, thusly:
              How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
              http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
              --- Install Windows XP *after* Kubuntu, and install XP to a non-first hard drive: map command Reply #12

The reference I gave you in my previous post addresses this issue of booting to and from anywhere/everywhere.

Tool:
              Live CD
              Konsole
              sudo grub
              grub> geometry (hd<Press the TAB key now>
              will list your HDDs as seen by BIOS and by GRUB expressed as (hdx,y)'s, and you can then explore each one, thusly:
              grub> geometry (hd0)
              grub> geometry (hd1)
              etc.

grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
              tells you all partitions containing an installation of GRUB files, expressed in GRUB device notation (hdx,y).

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Good morning to you all Still in bed then? Bunch of lazybones... I see Qqmike has come to the rescue. And I was thinking that Remelt could just install grub in the external drive and chainload. That way, if he wanted to boot XP, he would choose the hard drive to boot from. If he wanted Kubuntu, he'd boot off the USB. Chainload would circumvent all of Grub's hd probs...

Or is it still too early for me? I know it's still dark, but...
                Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Re: I like the OS but...... SOLVED

SOLVED

Comment

Working...
                  X