Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

booting kubuntu from live cd fails on Dell Latitude D830 (versions 8.04.1, 8.10)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

booting kubuntu from live cd fails on Dell Latitude D830 (versions 8.04.1, 8.10)

Hi. I'm trying to install kubuntu on this labtop I borrowed from my school but it doesn't successfully boot from any of the live cds I have burned so I was hoping to seek help from the community here.

I've used the following disk images:

kubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso
    kubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386.iso
    kubuntu-8.10-alternate-i386.iso

Their MD5 checksums check out.

The machine is a Dell Latitude D830
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 2.00 GHz
    Dell Wireless 360 Bluetooth Module
    Seagate st9160823asg HD
    NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M
    TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L632H
    Dell Wireless 1490 Dual Band WLAN Mini-Card

When booting from the 8.10-desktop CD various things are printed to the screen ending with "...Starting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd". Control Alt F1 gives "Loading, please wait..." and then won't respond (I gave it 15 minutes or some duration).

When booting from either the 8.04.1-desktop CD or the 8.10-alternate CD I am taken to the "Busybox v1.10.2 (Ubuntu 1:1.10.2-1ubuntu6) build-in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands." There, I have a few commands I can center. Control Alt F1 does nothing at this point.

Anyone have this problem? Perhaps it's a driver issue?

Re: booting kubuntu from live cd fails on Dell Latitude D830 (versions 8.04.1, 8.10)

i have a dell latitude C840 and i have no issues booting to the cd's

mine is a bit older then urs,
    p4m@1.6GHZ
    1Gb ram(upgraded from stock)
    120GB hd (upgraded from stock)

try the CD/DVD drive in the one ext. bay(if you have one) not the unremoveable one , this is the drive i boot from with cd's. i have never booted from the internal drive on my laptop only the swapable one.

have you tried booting to another distos live disk (just to see if it works)
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Re: booting kubuntu from live cd fails on Dell Latitude D830 (versions 8.04.1, 8.10)

I am pretty sure your NVIDIA card is at fault here. Try some of the cheat codes such as safe graphics (if there is such a thing) and experiment. Sooner or later they WILL boot.

Where there is a will, there is a way
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Re: booting kubuntu from live cd fails on Dell Latitude D830 (versions 8.04.1, 8

sithlord48 and toad, thanks for the fast replies.

I don't have an external optical drive, and I have not yet tried running another distos live disk.

I tried running each of those three disks I burned in acpi workaround mode, and also in safe graphic mode without success. Different error message though, "ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 3
        ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A" over and over again, then busybox.

If it is the videocard, is there any way I could do a workaround from the busybox? Its functionality seems pretty limited though.

Comment

kubuntube - I may be on the wrong track... I vaguely remember a solved busybox problem ages ago. Have you searched this forum for busybox and, failing that, also the ubuntu forum (as your problem is not kde specific).

EDIT:

Did I really write that? What a load of tosh
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Let's eliminate the burned CDs as a possible cause. Can you boot any of these LiveCDs in another PC? If you experience similar issues with these in another PC, I'd be very inclined to believe the LiveCDs have something wrong with them. How did you burn them? With what software, and using what settings?
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: booting kubuntu from live cd fails on Dell Latitude D830 (versions 8.04.1, 8

toad: I have searched for people who get the busybox on startup, or that ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A message, and also the cupsd message, but each case that I have seen is different than mine. It seems like other people usually get it to work by trying a different live cd or startup mode; unfortunately this hasn't worked for me. I am surprised by how different the errors messages are when using the different CDs.

snowhog: I burned the CDs from Disk Utility (mac) which verifies the checksum after burning. I guess it's possible that a problem in the disk could be picked up on one drive and not the other. I'll try burning new ones on the Dell (and choose the slowest possible speed). Also, I'm going to try those first three disks on my friend's PC tonight to see if they work there.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Comment

Working...
              X