X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disk installation options

Hi.

I'm a linux dabbler. I've tried various flavors of linux over the last half dozen years or so. The computer I'm intending to put kubunutu on is a shared computer running WinXP used by my family. We have lots of stuff on it that would be a tragedy to loose so I must be VERY careful not to damage anything when I install Kubuntu 8.10.

My question is; What does the option "use largest continuous free space" mean on the disk configurations portion of the install routine?

I put a new 500Gb drive in my computer a while ago and created a new Windows install on it in an 80Gb partition. I put one other 80Gb partition on it and have left the remainder of the disk unpartitioned - intending to put Linux in that space.

Is this the space that the installation routine will use if I choose the option to use the Largest free space or will it try to use the largest unused space on existing partitions. The installation dialog is not clear.

I can't afford to screw this up so I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks!

Re: Disk installation options

I would see if you can find some one to walk you through doing a manual install
    not hard but by choosing manuall install options for the disk drives should help with what you want to do . the auto option on mine doesn't see the d drive unless i go to manual install options. if you need help doing that im sure the uber linux guys and gals here would be able to get you a walk through.

Comment

Re: Disk installation options

This is a duplicate post of Disk config options in the installer in Kubuntu Forums | Kubuntu Discussion | Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex | Installation and Boot :P

Advise to new posters: It is considered poor forum etiquette to post the same question on different boards of the Forum. Pick the board you believe is the best for the question you have and post there.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
      X