This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need software name

Is there a software in linux like ccleaner in windows if any can you give me names of applications thanks ps or if there is a list some were of the names of applications and their use

Re: Need software name

Originally posted by johndingli
    Is there a software in linux like ccleaner in windows if any can you give me names of applications thanks ps or if there is a list some were of the names of applications and their use
    Here's a couple links for you:

http://linuxappfinder.com/alternatives?page=1

http://www.linuxalt.com/
    Being able to access the internet whilst answering a call of nature was 'one of life's most liberating experiences.'  Vic Hayes

Comment

Thanks bsoderror i will give them a try

Comment

You will also find a bunch of stuff on www.kde-apps.org, www.qt-apps.org and www.opendesktop.org

Your first port of call, however, is enabling all your repositories and checking in adept
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I'm looking a the features of Windows ccleaner. I don't think you need such a package for Linux:

The first feature removes temporary files, browsing history, and cookies from three browsers. But you can do that with the browser yourself -- for Firefox it is just "Tools > Clear Private Data" and it takes care of it.

The second feature is to empty the recycle bin, recent documents, temporary files, and log files. But again, you can do that yourself very easily, if you want to. Linux log files are small, generally, but if you want to delete them you can go to /var/logs and do that. The apt-get commands "clean", "autoclean", and "autoremove" take care of residual caches from package installations and removals. I'm not sure how much space "recent documents" consume - that's the only removal that isn't obvious to me. I suspect you can adjust the use of that feature within OOO, and maybe other document-related packages.

The third feature is "registry cleaner" -- that is a non-problem for Linux.

The fourth feature is to remove temporary files and recent files from Third Party Applications. In Linux, if you install only from the repositories, there will no such temporary or orphaned files, if you use the apt-get commands I mentioned, once in awhile. If you use the /tmp directory to install third party packages from, that directory gets automatically cleaned up at every boot. So all such problems with "third party applications" are avoidable in Linux.

The fifth and final feature is "100% Spyware Free".

That sounds like selling vitamins, on the basis that they are 100% bacteria-free and disease-free!

Anyway, there is no need to add software to your Linux system just to free it of garbage. It's easy to keep it garbage-free yourself.

Comment

Geez dibl, how come you're so smart and can type so much?!
            Being able to access the internet whilst answering a call of nature was 'one of life's most liberating experiences.'  Vic Hayes

Comment

I've been practicing for LOTS of years!

Comment

Plus, a dibl is FAST! See Humor: Classifying the online community
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I wrote this stuff using 8.04 and KDE 3.5? and kcontrol.
                  In any case, even with 8.10, it should give you some ideas.

Privacy Cleanup 101
                  http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde....msg115011#new
                  Reply #5: About kcontrol
                  Reply #8: How to Delete Data from Your Hard Drives & USB Drives

Gee, this was a dry post. How can I make this post more colorful when it comes to covering one's tracks ...?
                  An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                    Plus, a dibl is FAST! See Humor: Classifying the online community
                    heh heh Pretty darn good and Yep that about sums him up. Although, I wouldn't have minded a tapeworm writeup also, maybe as an aka!

Comment

Working...
                    X