This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

totaly new to this. a lil help?

ok first of hello all im razer121....normal i just mod pc's but ive got my hands on a kubuntu cd a few days ago and well i like it, quick nice eay to use and a totaly vista killer! anyways, ive a few problems already which i have no idea how to sort...

i dont know where to find drivers for my hardware, and im very into my gaming....and need to know how i would go about installing games and such......

thanks

Re: totaly new to this. a lil help?

Welcome. "...where to find drivers for my hardware, ..." isn't very helpful. If you tell us what hardware you need drivers for, well, that's a question of a different color. Really, what hardware do you need drivers for? I'm going to guess that one is for your video card. What card it is?

"...how i would go about installing games and such..." That is going to depend on what games you want to install. If they are Windoze games, you will have some issues. Running native Windoze programs (games included) in Linux directly isn't going to work. Installing Wine and then installing the game (if it is supported) in Wine is how most deal with Windoze games in Linux. But even that has some downsides. Not all Windoze games can be run this way, and full graphics support isn't (always) supported, and (some) games so run, run slower.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi razer -- welcome!

OK, couple of questions, couple of cautions:

which version of Kubuntu is that Live CD? Current version is 8.10, most recent Long Term Support (LTS) version was 8.04

Gaming -- well, you must understand that the very best graphics performance is gonna be on a Windows PC, because the graphic card OEMs put their best efforts into the Windows drivers. That's the bad news. But folks using the newer ATI and Nvidia cards are getting decent performance from the Linux drivers, so you might need to check out your game on your card.

Other drivers -- it depends on what hardware. Lexmark printers -- you're toast!

wireless chips -- it varies and you need to search Ubuntu Forums for guidance, but they all work AFAIK

USB stuff -- varies -- my Logitec webcam is a dead duck at the moment, although I don't use it much and don't care much. But folks sometimes need help with USB external drives and things like that. Cell phone interface -- you might as well install Win XP in a VMware Player or Virtualbox VM to run that kind of thing.

EDIT -- yeah, what "fast fingers" snowhog said!

Comment

yeno i just relized i didnt add enough info right now lol, but to my suprize i have response these are the main things i seem to have issues with..

netgear wg111t 108mbps

nvidia gtx260

Realtek high definition audio

i did do a search for the netgear wireless usb adpator and wow....lol i dont do coding to good, ok i will reword that.....ive NEVER done any kind of coding im very into getting kubuntu up and running soon....vista is so...slow, although i must admit my games do run well, something i seem to have a problem with, as i dont really like M$...of that topic, im using kubuntu 8.10, well its downloading now using a program that installs the os as an exe, this way i will not lose my main system but i can at least play around with kubuntu alot more, the cd i was using was a 8.04 build, is there a major difference between the two builds?

does anyone think that gaming will be fully working with linux anytime soon? (sorry im so new to this ive not really had time to look it up)

cheers again

Comment

Working...
        X