Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I have ownership of my server as well as www-data.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I have ownership of my server as well as www-data.

I've got my server setup now and I have been changing ownership from www-data to my username everytime I want to access files from my server over the network. Is there a way that I don't have to take down the server everytime I add/remove/edit files on it?

Re: Can I have ownership of my server as well as www-data.

A few questions:

Originally posted by jk4y
    I've got my server setup now
    What sort of server?

and I have been changing ownership from www-data to my username everytime I want to access files from my server over the network.
    What files? How are you trying to access them?

Is there a way that I don't have to take down the server everytime I add/remove/edit files on it?
    Why are you taking down the server anyway?

Comment

Xubuntu, apache, mysql, php, headless server with pictures, music stuff like that. Mostly used for seedbox, proxy, and sharing pictures and video with family.

Most of the time I need to access files is if I don't want to delete lots of files individually through shell. I would rather use samba, highlight and delete. When I try this I get "permissions denied" so I get on the server shell and run "sudo chown -R jk /var/www". I also need to do this when editing my index.php or html files (which I do quite often since I'm still learning). This is cool and all, but sometimes I forget to "sudo chown -R www-data /var/www".

Now that I double checked it, I think the only thing that goes down is torrentflux, so it is really not that big of a problem. It would still be nice to be able to not have to change ownership everytime I want to edit/delete files.

Comment

OK... so as I understand it, whatever you're running on the web server is creating files (owned by www-data) that you want to delete? The issue then is that the user that you connect through Samba as doesn't have permissions to those files.

Look at their permissions - if they're group read/writeable, then the easiest approach might be to add the www-data group to your user account:

sudo adduser jk www-data

Changes might not take effect until your next login.

If you're making regular changes to the HTML files, you might consider using Apache's option to share ~/public_html folders - that way you won't need to worry about permissions for your own user.

Hope these suggestions help!

Comment

Working...
        X