This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

saving /home SOLVED

Is there a way to copy my home dir to a cd or flash drive from the CLI?

Re: saving /home

For a flash drive,

sudo cp -r ~/ /media/*flash drive name without starts*

mine looks like this:

sudo cp -r ~/ /media/disk

I have no idea how you would do this for a cd though

Comment

To do it to a CD I believe you would have to use a burning program, such as K3b

Comment

To burn from the command line:

Code:
        cdrecord dev=/dev/cdrom ~/
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

will that burn just the home dir or what does ~/ mean?

and How can I find out what my flash drive and my cd burner is called and where it is?

Comment

~/ is a shortcut for the home folder. I don't think that you need to find out the name of your cd burner, just use the command that toad posted. As for the flash drive go to /media/ and whichever folder is your flash drive should be the name you use.

Comment

I got the KDE woking before I had to try cp /home to a cd. But I would still like to cd things to a flash drive. When I ls the media folder here's what I get.
              "cdrom cdrom0 cdrom1 floppy floppy0"

Could my flash drive be somewhere else or maybe it's not mounted? I really don't know what that means or how to do it but I've seen people say things like that

Comment

hmm, it should automount, try this

sudo mkdir /media/disk (this makes a folder called disk in the media folder)

sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdc1 /media/disk (this mounts your flash drive to the folder called disk)

sudo cp -r ~/ /media/disk (this copies the home folder to your flash drive)

That only works if your flash drive is at /dev/sdc. You should probably try and find out why it isn't automounting though.

Comment

Yeah, I'm concerned about no automount. ejt (great name btw ), could you plug your stick in, wait a few seconds and then type
                  Code:
                  dmesg|tail
                  Please post the output. It should tell us whether the stick is recognised and where (if at all) it is mounted to.
                  Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I had the usb flash drive plugged in when I booted up this am so I went to console and typed dmesg| tail and this is what I got.

[ 117.320155] Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
                    [ 117.552129] Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
                    [ 117.552177] Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
                    [ 117.552183] Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.8
                    [ 120.063646] NET: Registered protocol family 17
                    [ 125.492491] NET: Registered protocol family 10
                    [ 125.494053] lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions
                    [ 136.215040] eth0: no IPv6 routers present
                    [ 3544.723509] usblp0: removed
                    [ 3549.400918] audit(1227378025.335:3): type=1503 operation="inode_permission" r equested_mask="::rw" denied_mask="::rw" name="/dev/tty" pid=6196 profile="/usr/s bin/cupsd" namespace="default"

Then I unplugged it replugged it and waited a few sec and this is what I got.

[ 6496.807403] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
                    [ 6496.807419] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 23 00 00 00
                    [ 6496.807427] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
                    [ 6496.820384] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] 16119808 512-byte hardware sectors (8253 MB)
                    [ 6496.823392] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
                    [ 6496.823407] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 23 00 00 00
                    [ 6496.823414] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
                    [ 6496.823435] sdb: sdb1
                    [ 6496.890722] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk
                    [ 6496.890864] sd 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg3 type 0

Then another window popped up and asked me what I would like to do with the "Store N Go" (the name of the Verbatim flash drive).
                    Now when I ls the media dir here's what I get.
                    /media$ ls
                    cdrom cdrom0 cdrom1 floppy floppy0 STORE N GO

So I guess everything is working properly now. Things must have been comprimised because of all my other issues.
                    Thanks for your help.
                    ejt

Comment

Working...
                    X