This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slow package downloads

I have high speed DSL, which works great for almost everything. If I download anything thru Firefox, the speed is approx. 500+ kb/s. However, if I use Adept or KPackage to download a package, the speed is approx. 20 kb/s, worse than dial-up.

I have searched thru Ubuntu and Kubuntu Forums which dealt with ipv6, ipv4 and tcp-window-scaling. Since Firefox and general Internet surfing have no problems, I don't think those are the problem. (I tried them anyway, but nothing changed)

I have tried using both Adept and Kpackage, and adding a mirror site (mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca) to the default ca.ubuntu.archive, but so far no change in package download speeds.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Re: slow package downloads

Personally, I know nothing about DSL, but I suspect that that is not your problem based on your statement that downloads in Ff are not a problem.

I agree with your suspicion that the problem may be the server that you're using for *buntu downloads. I would add a US server (don't worry, your not going to lose your locale stuff) which might be faster even though it's farther away. Another thought is to either change the time of day at which you attempt to download packages or add a server in a VERY different timezone, e.g. New Zealand, or the U.K., depending on your time zone. The servers tend to be less busy after midnight in their local time zones.

Comment

Thanks for your prompt reply. I changed all of the default deb addresses to a US address. A Firefox update was available (10MB) and downloaded in less than a minute!

Comment

I've seen a number of posts with similar complaints, and the repositories were out of Canada. It can't be a coincidence. I might be inclined to make inquiries to your local ISP and see what's up.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X