This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to remove printers

using printer configuration , then selecting to add a new printer under select connection , devices,there are multiple printers in the list.
    I wish to remove them ALL and start over. I have been trying everything to get a Canon Pixma ip4600 to work at bove 600/600 dpi without success and am now in a mess and want to start again. I have had some success with cups using a ppd from canon, but I need to clean up now , and retry some options?
    I also have some issues with editing the ppd , but that's for later.

Attached Files
    The true method of knowledge is experiment.

Re: how to remove printers

What version of Kubuntu are you running?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

That's a good question:

I have installed KDE after installing Ubuntu 8.04 lts , with the supplied gnome:

I now selct a KDE session at login , however at boot the Kubunto logo shows?

System>system monitor>system reports
      Ubuntu
      Release 8.04 (hardy)
      Kernel Linux 2.2.24.21-generic
      GNOME 2.22.2

System>KinfoCeneter>Help>About KDE reports
      K desktop Environement Release 3.5.10

$ kde-config -v reports:
      Qt: 3.3.8b
      KDE: 3.5.10
      kde-config: 1.0

so am I running Kubuntu or Ubuntu with KDE?

Comment

Bottom line is you are using Hardy Heron 8.04.

You can access CUPS - Common UNIX Printing System 1.3.9 to manage your printers.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks , so why does Kubuntu show at boot? And if I upgrade to KDE 4 , would that make this Kubuntu system?

Comment

why does Kubuntu show at boot?
            Please define "show at boot". Can you still choose to start Gnome instead of KDE?

if I upgrade to KDE 4 , would that make this Kubuntu system?
            Removing KDE3 and installing KDE4 would not make it a "Kubuntu system", if you can still start Gnome, it's an Ubuntu system with a choice of desktop environments. (I'm deferring a whole discussion here about the GDM and KDM display managers for another topic). Upgrading would involve replacing *buntu 8.04 Hardy Heron with *buntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex. Both KDE and Gnome would be replaced by newer versions.

To get to your original question, though. The place to look for information about printing in Linux is The OpenPrinting Database. I've directed you to the page for the Pixma IP4600.

Comment

"Show at Boot" , the splash screen that comes up when I switch on the PC , says Kubuntu before I get to login, at login I can hit F10 and select either gnome or kde as a session.

The OpenPrinting Database. I've directed you to the page for the Pixma IP4600.
              I have been completely unable to get any printout using the Gutenprint driver on that page , the only file that works for me is attached. I have it in usr/share/cups/model and select it as make and model using the printer configuration gui .
              I would be very grateful if anyone can suggest how to edit this file to make it work above 600 dpi. When I try it doesn't matter what I add to the file , it doesn't work at all after editing. For example adding further resolution options in the resolution section , they will appear in the gui , but the printer doesn't print.
              Attached Files

Comment

Don't worry about your usplash theme, whether it is ubuntu, kubuntu or perhaps something you cooked yourself. The underlying system is and remains ubuntu.

Re removing printers - I take it you've been to kcontrol, entered admin mode and deleted all printers? That would be one way I could think of. Another would be to enter http://localhost:631/ into your browser and use CUPS to delete whatever is there...

HTH
                Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
                X