X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

File Managers

Heya folks,

So I'm having something of a dilemma here. I'm a very organization minded individual, and I have thousands of files to sort through that require quick and easy viewing, listening, or reading. Kubuntu 8.04.1 comes installed with Dolphin. Don't get me wrong, Dolphin is a stable file browser that's good for average or high-end users (I'm somewhere in between), but it has features (or lack thereof) that irk me about it:

1: First off, it won't let me enlarge image previews to my liking. For example, when I set the icon size to maximum in preview mode while viewing images, I can't discern the details well enough on some of my larger pictures. Not only that, but images over 5MB won't preview at all. Also, Dolphin doesn't provide an option for an information pop-up that contains a larger preview, especially when I've selected several files. (Yes, I know that there's the left and right sidebars, but it only displays 1 file, and only basic information when several are selected.)

2: When viewing with the Details mode, I am only allowed to view categories Name, Size, and Date. Nothing else. I'd like to have something that allows me to view image dimensions, playback time (for music and videos), Author/Artist, Comments, Album, Track Number, etc.

3: The lack of a file manager tree. This makes switching folder location slow and difficult.

On the other hand I have Konqueror, which actually solves most of my problems. It has a file manager tree, I can change the file preview size limit, the image preview size is at least large enough to view with relative comfort, and I can even change the backround to something I like. All in all, very customizable. However, Konqueror has a problem of continuously crashing my entire system. I don't know what it's doing, but sometimes, and only when I'm using Konqueror, will my computer spontaneously restart with absolutely no warning.

Sorry for all the details, here's my question...

What are my alternatives? Or how can I fix some of these problems, with either Dolphin or Konqueror?

Re: File Managers

About Dolphin

Kubuntu 8.04 (KDE 3.5) has D3lphin:

Earlier http://enzosworld.gmxhome.de/
    Dolphin is a file manager for KDE focusing on usability.

Dolphin is not intended to be a competitor to Konqueror: Konqueror acts as universal viewer being able to show HTML pages, text documents, directories and a lot more, whereas Dolphin focuses on being only a file manager. This approach allows to optimize the user interface for the task of file management.

The KDE 3 version of Dolphin is in beta stage, but provides already most features for daily usage. Currently Dolphin gets ported for KDE 4.0.

The final version 1.0 of Dolphin for KDE 3 was originally planned for end of December 2006. In November Dolphin got a lot of support from Aaron J. Seigo and it has been decided to port Dolphin to KDE 4 as soon as possible. As there are not enough resources to maintain a KDE 3 version in parallel, the last release of Dolphin for KDE 3 has been 0.8.

D3lphin 0.9:

As mentioned on the roadmap, no official maintenance release for KDE 3 will be released anymore. But the good news is that Marcel Juhnke decided to do further bugfixing for the KDE 3 version of Dolphin and also included features like a second sidebar. As this is no official release, this project is named D3lphin and can be downloaded at marrat.homelinux.org. Please don't submit any bug reports for D3lphin to the KDE bug database and contact Marcel directly instead.

Dolphin future

> Dolphin Features for KDE 4.2

Same thing with the Konqueror. Konqueror KDE 3.5 is getting bugfixes (with the KDE 3.5.10...) but thats all.

Do you get any error messages when Konqueror is crashing ?
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Hi

I am using Dolphin 1.1 for KDE 4.1.3

Item 2). In detailed view, yes, you can't add those very cool fields (Author, Artist, etc). But you can add/remove fields, either by right clicking on the bar with the field names, or in View-> Additional Information

Item 3) I have that: [F7]. Or View-Panels->Folders.

Another cool panel is a shell [F4], if you like to do things in the command line every now and then.

Dolphin is intended to be less intimidating than Konqueror for file browsing, and will add the Konqui tech progressively, mostly under the hood if I am not mistaken, to keep a clean/simple interface for the general user.

Konqui should not produce sys crashes though, did you try launching it from the command line to see if there is any useful info to debug your problem?

HTH!

Comment

... and few alternatives > 9 File Managers for Linux
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

LOL

... i just love that address, Rog131... vivapinkfloyd...

He gives a good comparison, too.

Comment

OMG, that is the funniest avatar I have ever seen!

Originally posted by aged hippy
            LOL

... i just love that address, Rog131... vivapinkfloyd...

He gives a good comparison, too.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
            and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it.

To answer your questions:
                Rog131-- No, there are no error messages when my computer restarts due to running Konqueror, although it's possible that it might be a different program, or somehow a problem with my PSU. However, I find it odd that it always happens when Konqueror is open somewhere, anywhere (even in backround). Some additional info, though, is that I almost always have Amarok playing a 2000+ song playlist, so maybe that's contributing to it.

lmilano-- I have none of those features. However, I'm running Dolphin 0.9.2, but I can't seem to find any upgrade package unless I switch to KDE 4. >.<

It's good to know that they'll be fixing some bugs in the future.

Hmmm, starting up Konqueror from the terminal doesn't turn up any messages at all...

Comment

Working...
                X