This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No audio at all.

A year ago I was given a desktop with a fresh install. As I haven't got any means with with to connect it to the internet, I've just now started playing around with it, and have discovered that there's absolutely no audio. I've looked around online and tried solutions that worked for others, but I'm either not trying them correctly, or the problem is something different. I've never really used Kubuntu before, so I'm at a loss as to what to do.

I even tried multiple players; Kaffeine only says "The host you are trying to connect to is unknown. Check the validity of the specified host name. (unable to resolve.)"

Re: No audio at all.

The error has to do with lack of a network connection.

Did you lookin the System Settings, Sound section?

Also, there is a little app called KMix, is it running? It should look like a "speaker" icon in your system tray (right side of the panel at the bottom of the screen)
    http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdemul...mix/index.html

If it's not running, type [alt+F2] and then type "kmix" [enter].

Hope this helps!

Comment

I have experienced this problem, if your computer has on-board sound and you also have a sound-card, you need to disable the on-board sound in the BIOS.

It took me quite some time to work that one out.

Comment

Originally posted by Schen
        A year ago I was given a desktop with a fresh install. As I haven't got any means with with to connect it to the internet, I've just now started playing around with it, and have discovered that there's absolutely no audio. I've looked around online and tried solutions that worked for others, but I'm either not trying them correctly, or the problem is something different. I've never really used Kubuntu before, so I'm at a loss as to what to do.

I even tried multiple players; Kaffeine only says "The host you are trying to connect to is unknown. Check the validity of the specified host name. (unable to resolve.)"

Hi Schen!

I had exactly the same error, with my onboard (realtek I thing) sound card!
        Just out of the blue!!!

After playing for a while with system settings->sound system (as lmilano already suggested), I found that setting hardware->select the audio device to threaded open sound system (slightly better for me) or open sound system, restored the system sound.
        (at general tab, to the bottom, is the "test sound" button (at kde 3.5)).

If this will work for you, test the rest of the options at "hardware" tab, for determining the best combination for you.
        I have set them here, to "full duplex, 44100, 16bit).

PS. After restoring the sound, you may have to configure your media player as well.

At my system, for videolan, I went to settings->preferences->audio->output modules->alsa->refresh list.
        There, I had two options. One of them worked (while the other is unusable).

OK! Just my experience!
        Good Luck with it!!!
        Speak "Friend" and enter, or...

Comment

Originally posted by Schen

Try using the ALSA sound system.

Many, many people have a problem with Pulse Audio.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
          and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

I've definitely checked out the sound system settings and kmix. Both think that they're fine and fully functional. I tried, as suggested, to toggle open sound system and threaded open sound system, and still no sound. I'd almost wonder if the onboard sound is dead, but Amarok claims that it's unable to read the audio cd.

I'm going to try borrowing a sound card from my other desktop, as it had not previously occurred to me that onboard sound might be, for some reason, dead, but I have no idea how that might help Amarok with its read error.

Comment

Working...
            X