X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I switch from OpenSuSE?

OK, so I guess the heading says it all

But in more detail, i'm becoming more and more dismayed at the frequency of opensuse updates with the added lack of bug fixes for older versions. It seems to me that too many bad bugs get through that are not fixed because 'a new version is coming out' which may fix those bugs but usually introduces different ones. When I first started with linux many years ago now one of the selling points was improvement and how it get's better and better. It would seem OpenSuSE is not one of those distros, it just pushes it's bugs around rather than wrap them up. To me, it's nothing against the developers or anything, it's just the direction they take.

So anyway now I have explained my personal observations, can anyone advise if Kubuntu would be any different? If so, why? And while we're at it, what do you guys use instead of YaST pretty hard to beat YaST I know, but there will be something, perhaps it does enough for me.

Thanks!

M

Re: Should I switch from OpenSuSE?

*buntu isn't perfect, Fedora isn't perfect, Mepis isn't perfect, DSL isn't perfect .... well, you get the idea.

Whatever you do, FIRST make a Live CD and boot that and check it out thoroughly on your hardware. Check networking, video, sound, and the browser. The more problems you have with a Live CD, the more problems you'll probably have after you install it, and vice versa.

Kubuntu isn't entirely bug free. There seems to be a considerable user base, and so a lot of bugs get filed. Once in awhile I find an old irritation that they seem to simply not want to fix.

KDE4 is, by the way, not just an incremental upgrade from KDE 3.5 -- it's a whole 'nother thing. I'm getting accustomed to its charm, but you can find quite a bit of hate mail about it if you browse the forum a bit. It seems the more comfortable folks were with KDE 3.5, the more they rebel at KDE4.

I'd say, give it a try, and see how you like it (via the Live CD, of course).

Comment

Working...
    X