X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help the Noob

Hey everyone,

So I'm completely new to linux and Kubuntu. My Vista installation got fried so I installed Kubuntu per suggestion from a friend.

I'm trying to figure out how to dual boot Vista, but that's a different issue of its own.

Anyways, Kubuntu looks really nice, but there's just one thing that's bugging me.

I get this error when shutting down:
    halt:unable to iterate IDE devices:no such files or directory

Sometimes, I don't get the error but just a blank screen.

The computer never turns off automatically in either scenario. I have to hold the power button until the notebook powers down.

Are there any fixes for this? Also, please keep in mind that I'm completely new to Linux and don't get how to use anything yet. Step by step instructions would be nice.

Took me about an hour to figure out how to get the panel/tool bar to work.... haha

Re: Help the Noob

If you can enter the BIOS setup for that computer, it would be interesting to see what "modes" are available for the IDE devices. You may need to change it -- maybe "legacy IDE" or something like that. It appears that Linux is having some issue with the optical drive and hard drive, and it probably relates to the "mode" they are set in.

p.s. changing the IDE mode may well make Vista refuse to boot or install -- fair warning.

Comment

Re: Help the Noob

Didn't see anything like that in the BIOS setup...

I don't have a working copy of Vista right now. I'm actually trying to install it back onto the system but that isn't going too well, so I would like to get Kubuntu working properly.

Earlier, I partitioned the drive to give about half of it for Kubuntu, half for Vista so I can dual boot. After the partition, Kubuntu no longer gives the error "halt:unable to iterate IDE devices:no such files or director"

However, it just blanks out (black screen though still iluminated) but doesn't turn off. Any ideas what's going on?

I have a hp dv2600 if that helps.

Comment

Working...
      X