This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Videos cause window to flicker

I have 8.10 on my laptop with an ati mobility radeon x1400. I have installed and enabled the proprietary driver, yet all the videos I play (.avi, .mpg, and .wmv) flicker incessantly no matter what media player I use. I have tried downloading many codecs, but nothing seems to work. Many games also flicker or lag.

On a possibly related note: I also cannot seem to enable the cube option in compiz fusion. Although I have enabled it within the compiz settings, it still refuses to display. At first I theorized that it was because I only had two desktops enabled. I then discovered that 2 is all the desktops my computer will allow me to have. Although I can enable 4, and it will accept the change, I will still remain with only 2 desktops.

Can anyone please tell me what is going on here?

Re: Videos cause window to flicker

If you use VLC, goto Tools->Preferences->Video and set "Output" to X11 Video output. Click Save and restart VLC. That should solve the flicker problem.

Try EnvyNG for the graphics driver and see if it works: http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

Comment

EnvyNG is in the repos.

Code:
      sudo apt-get install envyng-core
      Then you can run it from the CLI with

Code:
      sudo envyng -t

Comment

As an alternative you could turn off Desktop 3d effects in System settings. X11 video driver uses the CPU to render the video. I dont think Envy will make any diffrence since the flickering is caused by the ATI driver.

Comment

Changing the output of my media players seems to have fixed the flickering during video. Thank you.

However, I am still having difficulties enabling the cube feature in compiz. Can anyone help me there?

Comment

Working...
          X