This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video driver problems

I am having problems getting the 1024 X 768 resolution I want when using 8.04.

System:
    Intel D845GEBV2 motherboard with integrated Intel Extreme Graphics
    Intel 845GE chipset

When I first install from the CD, I have full options in "Monitor and Display", up to 1280 X 960. I can resize down to 1024 X 768 and all looks fine until I do the updates. When I reboot after installing updates the screen defaults to 640 X480 with no other options available.

When I install nVIDEA GeForce 256 AGP 4x card and use envyng-core I can get the resolution up to 800 X 600 as the only option. I tried uninstall/install nVIDEA drivers using envyng-core to no avail. I tried the Synaptic Fix-Broken-Packages option, but that has not helped either.

If I reinstall 8.04, once again I get full resolution options available but they again disappear after updates. I am a Windows person who has never had to use command lines, so please be pretty specific with your very welcome assistance.

Re: Video driver problems

I'm not sure where but somewhere in system settings there is a place where you can change your monitor (change it from generic monitor to the monitor you have) that has fixed it for me before. If that doesn't work you have to edit xorg. Not very fun but do-able. Here is a detailed explanition on that.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=83973

Post back if you need help.

Comment

Re: Video driver problems

Thanks, jk4y. With your clues I was able to figure it out. Here is the path for the next person with this question:

K>System Settings>Monitor & Display>Administrator Mode>(password)>OK>Hardware tab>Monitor Configure>Generic down arrow>monitor 1024 X768 (or whatever resolution you want)>OK.

After you restart you may have to go back into Monitor and Display to set it to your resolution choice. Hope this helps someone else.

Comment

Working...
      X