This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noob here, please help with wireless adapter, live usb, and others

Hi, please forgive me if i´m posting something that has been answered before... and excuse my english too (not native speaking). i searched all over internet and inside kubuntu forums but still no solution, that's why i came here.

My problems:

I installed Kubuntu 8.10 today from a live usb because my cd drive is damaged... everything installed great. but when trying to configure my "Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)" came my first problem:

on the line "sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils-1.9" the konsole asks for the live cd, but i can't use the cd rom drive, all i can use is the usb storage device. anyone knows a workaround?

i tried downloading "ndiswrapper-utils-1.9_1.38-1ubuntu1_i386.deb" from another computer but when unpacking it inside kubuntu it asks for internet connection, so no solution there...

and another thing, in some page i readed something about two ways to install the broadcom drivers on kubuntu/ubuntu, and it says something about one way being better that the other because of longer and stronger signal range, but does not allows "promiscuos conections". i can't find that page now but is some of this true? i'm using instructions on this page:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...f#Instructions

thanks to everyone in advance...

Re: Noob here, please help with wireless adapter, live usb, and others

First, remove the cdrom from the source.list.

Adept -> Sources -> Edit Sources -> 3rd party -> uncheck the cdrom

Then add the usb:

Adept -> Sources -> Edit Sources -> 3rd party -> Add

deb file://"live_usb_mount_point" intrepid main restricted

where "live_usb_mount_point" is the mount point of the usb disk, without quotes (It should be something like /media/something). I'm supposing that the root of the usb disk contains the dist and pool directories. If that's not the case, the "live_usb_mount_point" should really be where those 2 directories are.

I haven't tested it, but it should work.

I have no idea about the 2nd thing.

Comment

Re: Noob here, please with Broadcom Wireless Adapter 4318

sorry, still no luck... konsole shows "can't read source list" or something like that... (i have it in spanish) my usb storage is named SU8044-56, so what should the line read? something like this?: deb file://SU8044-56/

Edit: here's what i have done:

1.- connected my laptop's hard drive to another computer
      2.- reinstalled kubuntu 8.10 to that drive
      3.- installed all necesary components
      4.- put back the drive on the laptop
      5.- try to configure the wireless drivers...
      This is now my problem... still can't get it to work. i followed step by step this guide

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...f#Instructions

but on step 3 i get the wireless interface to say "module=ssb" instead of "module=ndiswrapper"... anyone knows another solution?

Edit 2:

ok, so i found someone with the same problem... the solution was to install ubuntu and then install the KDE desktop enviroment... it apears that kubuntu has some issues with that specific wireless card... here's the link:

http://www.nabble.com/Wireless-works...d20272497.html

i'm giving it a try and i'll post the results...

Edit 3:

Still no luck... Ubuntu installs fine, but when rebooting system it gives an error about kernel and doesn't read boot sector... or something like that.

can anyone please help me configure the wireless adapter from kubuntu? any known method that works?

Comment

Re: Noob here, please help with wireless adapter, live usb, and others

Veo que seguimos así.

For the source list thing, if the name is SU8044-56 then you should add the following: deb file:///media/SU8044-56 intrepid main restricted

For the other thing. I have no idea, but from your links I can see that for the guide available in help.ubuntu, there's a section "Hardy bug fix" explaining how to fix the module=ssb thing.

For the 2nd way, it looks that just installing the firmware is enough to get it working. It sounds extrange to me, but if that's OK, maybe installing b43_fwcutter you could get it working. For more info about this, read http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Dr...devicefirmware

pos eso

Comment

Working...
        X