Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(solved)Burning an .iso I have missed something!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(solved)Burning an .iso I have missed something!

Since I am a new to Linux, I must be missing something; that or I am just plain stupid.
    I am having trouble burning a cd of Kubuntu 8.10. I have downloaded the file from the kubuntu website and saved it in a folder I called Linux on my hard drive. (By the way I am running Windows XP and I downloaded the Infra Recorder software the Ubuntu website suggested. This computer has to remain win xp for now unfortunately.) I have read the Ubuntu page at the following link. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto
    The problem I have is that after I download the following file: kubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso.zip from the Kubuntu website. I do not get a file that produces an iso file. I have tried uzipping the file to locate the .iso file to burn. (I used jZip to unzip it.) But it dose not produce a file with an extension of ***.iso. I have even tried to burn the unzipped file but obviously no luck with that. DUH!

I downloaded Ubuntu 8.04 back about 5 months ago and had no problems with the process with an experimental desktop that was given to me for free running Windows ME, ( it runs better than the win xp machine that is several years newer than it is but it dose not have a cd-writer drive just a reader but it was free so no complaints) then I tried Kubuntu and I like the GUI much better. I then upgraded the version to 8:10 with no problems at all (so far - knock on my faux wood laminated plastic desktop). Now I have a used but good laptop and want to do a fresh start with Kubuntu 8.10 on a new hardrive. Anyway, when I originally downloaded 8.04 several months ago it gave me an .iso file at the time (after I unzipped it). Now when I unzip (extract) the file it give me 9 seperate file folders and 7 individual files outside of any folder. But nothing that has an .iso extension. In infrarecorder I tried to select all these folders and burning them together onto the CD. It still will not work. After messing with this for nearly two weeks on and off I am getting frustrated.

I figured I had a bad download so I redownloaded about 5 times from differant locations. Every time nothing has worked.

Can someone share some knowledge?
    HP Pavilion ze4949us laptop, Intel extreme graphics 2, 1.5GHz Intel Centrino Mobile Technology-Intel Pentium M Processor 715, 1024 MB DDR SDRAM, Kubuntu 10.04.  Not a fast powerhouse but it works.

Re: Burning an .iso I have missed something!

Download the appropriate .iso file here.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Wow, That was a fast response!
      I will try this when I get off work this evening.
      A Big Texas Thankya! for the help.
      HP Pavilion ze4949us laptop, Intel extreme graphics 2, 1.5GHz Intel Centrino Mobile Technology-Intel Pentium M Processor 715, 1024 MB DDR SDRAM, Kubuntu 10.04.  Not a fast powerhouse but it works.

Comment

Your welcome. Post back on how it goes, good or bad.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Ok I did another two downloads last night. But what I found is that the Kbuntu 8.10 file is 699+.***mb(according to the details pane in win xp) and the blank media cd's I have are 700mb. So when I try to burn the iso to the blank cd it gives me the message that the file is too large to burn to the cd. (Do they make one larger than 700mb?) So if this was my whole problem to begin with I decided to try something else. I downloaded the Ubuntu 8.10 since the file size is just slightly smaller around 694 +/- mb if I remember right (again according to the details pane in win xp). Ubuntu 8.10 burned just fine and it runs like it is supposed to.

Never-the-less I still want to run Kubuntu on the new hard drive. So being as impatient as I am not wanting to wait the 6 to 10 weeks for the K8.10 copy to come in the mail. I got out my 8.04 burn of Kubuntu and installed it, connected it to the internet and then I spent a few hours letting it update the packages. After that I then went into Adept and got the version udgrade to 8.10.

Not exactly the way I wanted to do everything but it got the job done. Now for installing some other packages like thunderbird and firefox. After all was done I went in to try to get the firefox 3 package through Adept but it gets halfway through the process and crashes. I tried it 3 times and since it was late by this time I just gave up for the night. I am not having this problem with my original machine that has already been running K8.10 for a few weeks. (I will try to spend some time figuring out whats going on with that next week since my 4 yr old sons birthday party is tomorow and my wife insists on my help getting things set up tonight.) I got to admit though I do prefer the 8.04 version of Adept. It will take me a little getting used to the new but I will adapt adept.
          (Sorry mind was rambelling so back to the topic in question)

I guess my question now is, although I have Kubuntu 8.10 installed on my laptop, I did not get it their the way I wanted to. So how do I get it burned onto a disk, I may be a little O-C about LITTLE (as my wife says) things like this but I am enjoying the challenge. And I am not going to allow a little software problem beat me. Besides my father in law is giving us another used computer when he comes for my sons bday party, it is a retired xp machine from his business, I will install either edubuntu for the kids or kubuntu on it (preferably K 8.10). I like it so far on my original machine?

Comment

Same problem here with kubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso - the file I downloaded has a filesize of 733265920 Bytes, indicated on the server are 699MB

I can't burn this one, so what should I do? Is there a way to make it boot from usb stick?

md5sum of the iso is 82c02dc7386dfb6858a9ec09a5059e1e - checked the file with md5sums and it turns out fine...

Comment

You could use a DVD.

Comment

Is there a way to make it boot from usb stick?
                Yes, the app is called: unetbootin

the file I downloaded has a filesize of 733265920 Bytes
                You should be able to burn the iso on a 700Mb disk. Just because the iso is larger doesn't mean that the resulting burn will be...
                "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
                "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

I have always used CDBurnerXP in XP. I have never had a problem. It is a free program that is the best CD burning software I have found for XP, even better than $ programs such as Nero.

I don't know if it will solve your problem or not, but give it a try.

http://cdburnerxp.se/

Comment

Many compression apps can unpack a ISO. You don't want to do that.

Not sure why someone would upload a .iso.zip file...cause ISO files can't really be compressed much. I didn't need to do any kind of unzipping.

The standard Kubuntu8.10 iso file does fit on a CD. You could try checking the MD5 checksum to confirm that the ISO is perfect.

Comment

well thanks guys, this turned out to be a bug in brasero edition of Xubuntu/Hardy. I allready have Xubuntu/Intrepid installed and tried to burn it there -> worked just fine.

Comment

Working...
                      X